Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KBahr999 KBahr999 is offline

Default Table of Contents on Word 2003

In older versions of Word, I was able to add options to the table of
contents. In my documents, I want to show the Appendix in the table of
contents. In the past, I used style Heading 7 to be the level 1-like heading
for the appendix. Thus, by changing the style definition of Heading 7, I
could make it look like heading 1 and then add it to the table of contents
using the options.

However, I tried that with a document I am working on, and no matter what I
do, heading 7 is not showing up in the table of contents. Is this a new
feature in Word 2003 that is overwriting my changes? When I look at the
Field Codes text, it looks like it is saving my changes, but when I update
the table, it is not showing up.

Any Help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Have you tried changing the TOC Options under Insert, Reference, Index and
Tables, Options. Scroll down to Heading 7 and enter 1 in the TOC Level, OK
and OK. Refresh table and cross fingers.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"KBahr999" wrote:

In older versions of Word, I was able to add options to the table of
contents. In my documents, I want to show the Appendix in the table of
contents. In the past, I used style Heading 7 to be the level 1-like heading
for the appendix. Thus, by changing the style definition of Heading 7, I
could make it look like heading 1 and then add it to the table of contents
using the options.

However, I tried that with a document I am working on, and no matter what I
do, heading 7 is not showing up in the table of contents. Is this a new
feature in Word 2003 that is overwriting my changes? When I look at the
Field Codes text, it looks like it is saving my changes, but when I update
the table, it is not showing up.

Any Help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KBahr999 KBahr999 is offline

Yes, I tried that--several times. I deleted, refreshed, etc. But it did not
fix it. Thanks.

KBahr

"KBahr999" wrote:

In older versions of Word, I was able to add options to the table of
contents. In my documents, I want to show the Appendix in the table of
contents. In the past, I used style Heading 7 to be the level 1-like heading
for the appendix. Thus, by changing the style definition of Heading 7, I
could make it look like heading 1 and then add it to the table of contents
using the options.

However, I tried that with a document I am working on, and no matter what I
do, heading 7 is not showing up in the table of contents. Is this a new
feature in Word 2003 that is overwriting my changes? When I look at the
Field Codes text, it looks like it is saving my changes, but when I update
the table, it is not showing up.

Any Help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Since you can't change the outline level of Word's built-in heading styles,
you may have to clear the check box for "Outline levels." Another
alternative is to make TOC 7 look like TOC 1.