ivan's girl

Default AutoCorrect problems in Word 2003

In using Word 2003, I have found myself having the same problem as
"golfchick" in a previous "autocorrect help posting," though no one ever gave
her a helpful answer.

My problem is two-fold: First, Even though I have unchecked all boxes in the
AutoCorrect choices, it still automatically changes many misspelled words
automatically as I type. I don't want it to do this, as I want my kids to
know when they've misspelled a word (hence, I've checked "check spelling as I
type"), but I want it to flag it without changing it automatically. How do I
get it to do that?

Additionally, in a moment of irritation, I began simply deleting the
AutoCorrect entries (which list begins with changing the colon/paren with an
actual smiley face), but I discovered that it is a very long list, and that
this wasn't a very good option to accomplish my purposes. Now I would like
to restore that AutoCorrect list with the default list (including once more
the entries I deleted), if anyone knows how to do so.

However, my main goal to make it stop autocorrecting the spelling errors as
I type. I don't know what else to do besides unchecking all the boxes for
AutoCorrect options, which I've done but which hasn't fixed the problem.
Daiya Mitchell

Is it correcting the words because the boxes are re-checking themselves
spontaneously, or is it correcting the words despite the boxes remaining
unchecked? The most important thing to uncheck is the "replace text as you
type" box in the Tools | AutoCorrect dialog. Is that what you did?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

ivan's girl

It is doing the second thing you mentioned. None of the boxes are checked,
including the most important one you said to uncheck, and yet it still
changes certain mistakes as soon as they are typed. My daughter is a
terrible speller, and I want her to see when she has typed a mistake... I
don't want it to fix it for her!

Additionally, dyou know anything about how to restore the items I deleted
from the AutoCorrect "Replace/With" list?

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

[...]

Daiya Mitchell

I'm sorry, I haven't a clue other than asking for clarification. My guess
would be corruption in the place that holds the setting for AutoCorrect, and
maybe if you rename the existing AutoCorrect file Word will re-generate a
default list, but I don't know how to give you detailed info on checking
those in Windows. Someone will probably come along and help out.

Does it change all mistakes or only certain ones? Which ones?