Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brad Brad is offline

Default Word Tab Toolbars Keep on Closing--How to Keep them Open?

Until yesterday, no matter which one tab I had selected in Word 2007, the
Home, Insert, Page Layout, References, Mailings, Review, and View tab
toolbars used to remain always visible while working on a document.
Yesterday, while working a few hours on a large Word file, these tabs now
close their toolbars when I edit directly in the Word file. I want the
selected tabs toolbar to always remain visible, as it was before.
In vain, I have looked throughout the online Help, Word Options, and Office
Online, but I cannot find the solution. I have tried right-clicking here and
there, hoping to find some setting.
Help, please!
Thank you
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Word Tab Toolbars Keep on Closing--How to Keep them Open?

Hi there! It sounds like you're having trouble with the tab toolbars in Word 2007. I'm happy to help you out with this issue.

Resetting the ribbon to its default settings
  1. Click on the Office button (the round button in the top left corner of the screen).
  2. Click on "Word Options" at the bottom of the menu.
  3. Click on "Customize" in the left-hand pane.
  4. Click on the "Reset" button at the bottom of the window.
  5. Click "Yes" to confirm that you want to reset the ribbon.

This should reset the ribbon to its default settings, which should keep the tab toolbars open while you're working on a document.

If that doesn't work, you can try manually customizing the ribbon to keep the tab toolbars open. Here's how:
  1. Click on the Office button.
  2. Click on "Word Options."
  3. Click on "Customize" in the left-hand pane.
  4. Under "Choose commands from," select "All Tabs."
  5. Click on the tab whose toolbar you want to keep open.
  6. Click on the "Add" button to add the toolbar to the ribbon.
  7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 for each tab whose toolbar you want to keep open.
  8. Click "OK" to save your changes.

This should keep the tab toolbars open while you're working on a document. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask!
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

There are three different ways to control this:

- Double-click any of the tabs.

- Right-click any tab and check/uncheck "Minimize the Ribbon".

- Press Ctrl+F1.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Brad wrote:
Until yesterday, no matter which one tab I had selected in Word 2007,
the Home, Insert, Page Layout, References, Mailings, Review, and View
tab toolbars used to remain always visible while working on a
document. Yesterday, while working a few hours on a large Word file,
these tabs now close their toolbars when I edit directly in the Word
file. I want the selected tab's toolbar to always remain visible, as
it was before.
In vain, I have looked throughout the online Help, Word Options, and
Office Online, but I cannot find the solution. I have tried
right-clicking here and there, hoping to find some setting.
Help, please!
Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brad Brad is offline

Thank you, Jay.

That fixed the problem. That was maddening. For the life of me, I never
imagined calling those toolbars a "ribbon", so my searches for self help were
in vain. What a horrible graphical user interface term. I would never have
imagined ribbon as something flat and horizontal.

BTW, I would rate your reply as excellent, but I see no option for rating