Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Connie

Default Problem with password protection

How can you protect a document so that no one can save over it. When I have
used password protection only for modification, the password follows the
"saved-as" document and you need it to open it up.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Q29ubmll?=,

How can you protect a document so that no one can save over it. When I have
used password protection only for modification, the password follows the
"saved-as" document and you need it to open it up.

there is nothing built into the Word application that works at this level.
Basically, what you'd need to do is place the file into a network folder, and
set the permissions *on the folder* to read-only. This will present you with
other problems, however, as Word itself relies on write permissions to the
folder in which a document is saved in order to generate its "temp" files.

If what you mean is keep people from using Save As, you should perhaps consider
converting the file to PDF. other than that, a macro in the file could help
keep people from getting to Save As easily, but you can't prevent it
completely.

If I still haven't understood what you're asking, please try re-phrasing your
requirements. And do mention which version of Word is involved.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Password Protection akkrug New Users 0 November 2nd 05 12:37 PM
password protection. I have several documents that are password michael Microsoft Word Help 1 October 19th 05 11:17 PM
Saving Password Protection David F Microsoft Word Help 1 May 29th 05 04:58 AM
Attaching Expansion Pack to Word Documents - Puzzling Problem Jose Microsoft Word Help 1 March 3rd 05 10:14 AM
password protection 2003 diane Microsoft Word Help 2 November 28th 04 11:37 PM