Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
avcarrie avcarrie is offline

Default Wildcard search... buggy?

I have some strange search problems.

Sometimes if I do a wildcard search for text (that I know exists) that
includes ^013 (paragraph marker), Word does not tell me that no results were
found, yet no result is selected. To try and find the selection/cursor, I
hold shift and press an arrow key to extend whatever resulting selection
there might be in my doc. If I tried to extend right/down, all text from the
search result (inclusive) to end of doc is selected. If I tried up/left
there is no selection, and the cursor is at start of doc.

e.g., searching for (this pattern exists in doc):

Plan Completion Date:^t[!^013]@^013

causes this behaviour but (if I add any gibberish after the final ^013)...

Plan Completion Date:^t[!^013]@^013sdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdf

causes the same behaviour although the given pattern does not exist in my doc.

Has anyone come across such behaviour or am I alone here? My macros become
quite useless if I can't rely on simple search/replace. Note that I have all
text / formatting / field codes visible.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
avcarrie avcarrie is offline

The complete line is (where the whitespace after the colon is a tab):
Plan Completion Date: June 2006

avcarrie wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I cannot reproduce the problem using your examples. May I suggest that you
try renaming the settings sub key of the Word data key in the registry -
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\W ord\Data and clear temp
files - http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm and then
repair Word from the Word Help menu.

avcarrie wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
avcarrie avcarrie is offline

Thanks for the suggestions Graham, but it turns out the cause lies elsewhere.
Changes were being tracked in my document, and the line I gave:

Plan Completion Date: June 2006

had changes associated with it ("June" had at one time been changed from
"March"), so "June" was underlined etc. So apparently, whether the tracking
markup is visible or not, change tracking seems to affect wildcard searching.
That's bad news.

Since my search is part of a macro, I suppose I could accept all changes,
run search, store location of result range, and undo the accept. But that
just seems expensive.

Any thoughts?

avcarrie wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Try
Plan Completion Date:^t*^013
This seems to work regardless of the tracked changes provided the line still
ends with a paragraph mark..... but I don't have your document to try it on

avcarrie wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

There are issues with Find and Replace and Track Changes.

I think this one may be caused by Balloons - try switching them off if you
currently have them on.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

avcarrie wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
avcarrie avcarrie is offline

Thanks, works like a charm! I'm not sure why, but I don't usually use
asterisks in my searches; maybe it's because I didn't know how greedy the
search would be (and I was obviously too lazy/uneasy to experiment).

avcarrie wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
avcarrie avcarrie is offline

Thanks for the tip. Turning off balloons skirts the bug only if markup is
showing. Also valuable to know.

avcarrie wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I too prefer not to use asterisks as they are too blunt an instrument, but
sometimes needs must