jeff

Default Blue lines in Document

My sons laptop with Word for some reason now has documents starting with blue
lines like a piece notebook paper. They do not match font size and are
irritating to us all. How did they get started? How do I get rid of them?
Dian D. Chapman, MVP

Sounds like maybe someone turned on the grid lines?

To check, click View Toolbar Drawing to turn on the drawing
toolbar. Locate the Draw icon on it and click to see a menu. Choose
Grid and uncheck the option if that is turned on.

Otherwise...could be you'd loaded an image or something into the
default Normal.dot template. This TechTrax article will tell you more
about fixing that issue, if that appears to be the case...

Normal.dot Template-Explained

Good luck...

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine

Free MS Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word eBook: http://www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: http://www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: http://www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

On Sun, 1 May 2005 10:40:02 -0700, "jeff"
wrote:

My sons laptop with Word for some reason now has documents starting with blue
lines like a piece notebook paper. They do not match font size and are
irritating to us all. How did they get started? How do I get rid of them?

Daiya Mitchell

What version of Word is this?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

jeff

Office 2000

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

What version of Word is this?

On 5/1/05 10:40 AM, "jeff" wrote:

My sons laptop with Word for some reason now has documents starting with blue
lines like a piece notebook paper. They do not match font size and are
irritating to us all. How did they get started? How do I get rid of them?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Greg Maxey

Jeff,

Try ViewToolbarsDrawing. With the Drawing toolbar, click the "Draw" menu
button then "Grid." Uncheck "Display gridlines on scree."

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

jeff wrote:
Office 2000

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

What version of Word is this?

On 5/1/05 10:40 AM, "jeff" wrote:

My sons laptop with Word for some reason now has documents starting
with blue lines like a piece notebook paper. They do not match
font size and are irritating to us all. How did they get started?
How do I get rid of them?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

jeff

Dear Dean,
Thank you so very much for solving the problem that has been plaguing us for
a long time. I know I have been through the view menu many times. I even
looked at the draw toolbar and never thought to click on "draw" to see more.
Since the draw toolbar was never checked (or visible) I did not suspect it.
I make it a habit not to change things. My son I suppose did that at some
time and forgot how he did it. These programs are much too complicated for
me. I would think that if the draw was doing something it would show as
running when the program starts. I am wrong again, as usual.
Thank you again.
Jeff.

wrote:

My sons laptop with Word for some reason now has documents starting with blue
lines like a piece notebook paper. They do not match font size and are
irritating to us all. How did they get started? How do I get rid of them?

Dian D. Chapman, MVP

No problem...glad it helped.

(By the way...who is "Dean?"smile)

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine

Free MS Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word eBook: http://www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: http://www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: http://www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

wrote:

My sons laptop with Word for some reason now has documents starting with blue
lines like a piece notebook paper. They do not match font size and are
irritating to us all. How did they get started? How do I get rid of them?

jeff

Well, uh, I guess it would be Dian spelled improperly. Kinda lets you know
what you are dealing with huh? Like to get a message back on here I follow
the email notification link and then get directed to the sign-in and then
have to go to english, then Office, then Word, then Word General Questions
and then search down to find the one I wrote, then reply. I am sure there is
an easier way but like most things, I don't know it.
Thanks again.

"Dian D. Chapman, MVP" wrote:

No problem...glad it helped.

(By the way...who is "Dean?"smile)

wrote:

My sons laptop with Word for some reason now has documents starting with blue
lines like a piece notebook paper. They do not match font size and are
irritating to us all. How did they get started? How do I get rid of them?

Dian D. Chapman, MVP

Well...I use a newsreader (Agent) to get here. But I believe if you
get here through the web interface at
http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups that there is an option to get
an email notification if anyone answers you. Then you SHOULD be able
to click the link in the email to get back to this thread.

And...although these are great newsgroups...there ARE other groups
like Yahoo email groups.

You can find other types of support groups as well as further info
about newsreaders in this article...as well as links to other groups
(including my groups) on the resource page.

Get Help
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=124

Support Resources
http://www.mousetrax.com/resources.html

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine

Free MS Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word eBook: http://www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: http://www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: http://www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

On Sun, 1 May 2005 18:20:02 -0700, "jeff"
wrote:

Well, uh, I guess it would be Dian spelled improperly. Kinda lets you know
what you are dealing with huh? Like to get a message back on here I follow
the email notification link and then get directed to the sign-in and then
have to go to english, then Office, then Word, then Word General Questions
and then search down to find the one I wrote, then reply. I am sure there is
an easier way but like most things, I don't know it.
Thanks again.

"Dian D. Chapman, MVP" wrote:

No problem...glad it helped.

(By the way...who is "Dean?"smile)

wrote:

My sons laptop with Word for some reason now has documents starting with blue
lines like a piece notebook paper. They do not match font size and are
irritating to us all. How did they get started? How do I get rid of them?

jeff

Dian,
Yes the link takes me right to the thread but to reply you have to sign in
and that takes you to the start. But heck most things on the computer take me
too long to do anyway.
And why would I look any where else if you read and answer these questions!

wrote:

Well, uh, I guess it would be Dian spelled improperly. Kinda lets you know
what you are dealing with huh? Like to get a message back on here I follow
the email notification link and then get directed to the sign-in and then
have to go to english, then Office, then Word, then Word General Questions
and then search down to find the one I wrote, then reply. I am sure there is
an easier way but like most things, I don't know it.
Thanks again.

"Dian D. Chapman, MVP" wrote:

No problem...glad it helped.

(By the way...who is "Dean?"smile)

wrote:

My sons laptop with Word for some reason now has documents starting with blue
lines like a piece notebook paper. They do not match font size and are
irritating to us all. How did they get started? How do I get rid of them?

If you have a computer with any version of Windows installed, you probably
have Internet Explorer. Part of Internet Explorer is Outlook Express (which
you may even use for email). You can also use it to read newsgroups like
this one. You don't have to sign in, and it's much easier to find new
messages (including replies to your posts). For instructions on setting up
Outlook Express to access the msnews server directly, see
http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/...ommunities.htm

wrote:

Well, uh, I guess it would be Dian spelled improperly. Kinda lets

you know
what you are dealing with huh? Like to get a message back on here I

follow
the email notification link and then get directed to the sign-in and

then
have to go to english, then Office, then Word, then Word General

Questions
and then search down to find the one I wrote, then reply. I am sure

there is
an easier way but like most things, I don't know it.
Thanks again.

"Dian D. Chapman, MVP" wrote:

No problem...glad it helped.

(By the way...who is "Dean?"smile)

wrote:

My sons laptop with Word for some reason now has documents

starting with blue
lines like a piece notebook paper. They do not match font size

and are
irritating to us all. How did they get started? How do I get rid

of them?

Graham Mayor

If you plan to come here often, the news reader approach advocated by Dian
earlier is the way forwards http://www.gmayor.com/MSNews.htm

wrote:

Well, uh, I guess it would be Dian spelled improperly. Kinda
lets you know what you are dealing with huh? Like to get a message
back on here I follow the email notification link and then get
directed to the sign-in and then have to go to english, then
Office, then Word, then Word General Questions and then search down
to find the one I wrote, then reply. I am sure there is an easier
way but like most things, I don't know it.
Thanks again.

"Dian D. Chapman, MVP" wrote:

No problem...glad it helped.

(By the way...who is "Dean?"smile)

wrote:

My sons laptop with Word for some reason now has documents
starting with blue lines like a piece notebook paper. They do
not match font size and are irritating to us all. How did they
get started? How do I get rid of them?

Dian D. Chapman, MVP

Well...that's pretty silly, isn't it!

But yes, there are easier ways to get here. As explained in the
article...a newsreader is the more efficient way to handle it.

Dian ~

wrote:

Well, uh, I guess it would be Dian spelled improperly. Kinda lets you know
what you are dealing with huh? Like to get a message back on here I follow
the email notification link and then get directed to the sign-in and then
have to go to english, then Office, then Word, then Word General Questions
and then search down to find the one I wrote, then reply. I am sure there is
an easier way but like most things, I don't know it.
Thanks again.

"Dian D. Chapman, MVP" wrote:

No problem...glad it helped.

(By the way...who is "Dean?"smile)

wrote:

My sons laptop with Word for some reason now has documents starting with blue
lines like a piece notebook paper. They do not match font size and are
irritating to us all. How did they get started? How do I get rid of them?

jeff

Don't know who to talk to about this but what a price to pay to post here!!!
I have gotten 50+ mails since I first posted!!! All that I checked have
36048 W32.Sober.O@mm or something like it. Any ideas on how to disappear
from their radar? Sheesh!

wrote:

Well, uh, I guess it would be Dian spelled improperly. Kinda lets you know
what you are dealing with huh? Like to get a message back on here I follow
the email notification link and then get directed to the sign-in and then
have to go to english, then Office, then Word, then Word General Questions
and then search down to find the one I wrote, then reply. I am sure there is
an easier way but like most things, I don't know it.
Thanks again.

"Dian D. Chapman, MVP" wrote:

No problem...glad it helped.

(By the way...who is "Dean?"smile)

wrote:

My sons laptop with Word for some reason now has documents starting with blue
lines like a piece notebook paper. They do not match font size and are
irritating to us all. How did they get started? How do I get rid of them?

Graham Mayor

Spam, worms, viruses etc are the curse of the internet and the price you pay
if you ever release your e-mail address into an insecure web page or
newsserver, or you correspond with someone who is less careful about virus
protection. Set your anti-spam measures to discard these mails *without
opening them*. If you have opened any of them, you had better get that
antivirus software dusted down and you should run with a firewall to hide
you from the clowns. Windows XP has a firewall, or you could consider the
freeware version of ZoneAlarm.

Never ever open an unsolicited e-mail attachment (even from friends) and set
your mail reader to view only plain text or you could unwittingly add to the
problem as well as jeopardising the integrity of your own system.

Does your ISP provide spam filtering on his e-mail server? If not, you
should consider anti-spam software. Mailwasher works for me, but I prefer to
have it set to just delete them rather than bounce them.

wrote:

Well, uh, I guess it would be Dian spelled improperly. Kinda
lets you know what you are dealing with huh? Like to get a
message back on here I follow the email notification link and
then get directed to the sign-in and then have to go to english,
then Office, then Word, then Word General Questions and then
search down to find the one I wrote, then reply. I am sure there
is an easier way but like most things, I don't know it.
Thanks again.

"Dian D. Chapman, MVP" wrote:

No problem...glad it helped.

(By the way...who is "Dean?"smile)

wrote:

My sons laptop with Word for some reason now has documents
starting with blue lines like a piece notebook paper. They
do not match font size and are irritating to us all. How did
they get started? How do I get rid of them?

Dian D. Chapman, MVP

And why would I look any where else if you read and answer these questions!

I have gotten 50+ mails since I first posted!!!

I think you just answered your own Q about why a private support group
can be a better alternative. ;-)

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine

Free MS Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word eBook: http://www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: http://www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: http://www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

If you have not exposed any address here except
, then I don't think you can blame this forum
for your spam.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org

wrote:

Well, uh, I guess it would be Dian spelled improperly. Kinda lets

you know
what you are dealing with huh? Like to get a message back on here I

follow
the email notification link and then get directed to the sign-in and

then
have to go to english, then Office, then Word, then Word General

Questions
and then search down to find the one I wrote, then reply. I am sure

there is
an easier way but like most things, I don't know it.
Thanks again.

"Dian D. Chapman, MVP" wrote:

No problem...glad it helped.

(By the way...who is "Dean?"smile)

wrote:

My sons laptop with Word for some reason now has documents

starting with blue
lines like a piece notebook paper. They do not match font

size and are
irritating to us all. How did they get started? How do I get

rid of them?

jeff

Yea, I have Norton and I can view things without opening them just to see. I
would like to smack them though. There ought to be a law.

wrote:

Well, uh, I guess it would be Dian spelled improperly. Kinda
lets you know what you are dealing with huh? Like to get a
message back on here I follow the email notification link and
then get directed to the sign-in and then have to go to english,
then Office, then Word, then Word General Questions and then
search down to find the one I wrote, then reply. I am sure there
is an easier way but like most things, I don't know it.
Thanks again.

"Dian D. Chapman, MVP" wrote:

No problem...glad it helped.

(By the way...who is "Dean?"smile)

wrote:

My sons laptop with Word for some reason now has documents
starting with blue lines like a piece notebook paper. They
do not match font size and are irritating to us all. How did
they get started? How do I get rid of them?

jeff

It is funny though that it started right after my post. I do little in the
cyber world mostly because I know bad things happen to ignorant folks like
me. But the timing is just too perfect. I will blame the sign up or
whatever you call it. Someone has the list that I am on and I am being
inundated. 6 more since last post.

wrote:

Well, uh, I guess it would be Dian spelled improperly. Kinda lets

you know
what you are dealing with huh? Like to get a message back on here I

follow
the email notification link and then get directed to the sign-in and

then
have to go to english, then Office, then Word, then Word General

Questions
and then search down to find the one I wrote, then reply. I am sure

there is
an easier way but like most things, I don't know it.
Thanks again.

"Dian D. Chapman, MVP" wrote:

No problem...glad it helped.

(By the way...who is "Dean?"smile)

wrote:

My sons laptop with Word for some reason now has documents

starting with blue
lines like a piece notebook paper. They do not match font

size and are
irritating to us all. How did they get started? How do I get

rid of them?

jeff

Well, uhh, err, umm, yea.
Private? As in a subscription? You understand my ignorance. I just look at
the weather etc and try to keep the machine running for the kids to do
homework. My files, though few, are nonetheless important to me. Duh!

"Dian D. Chapman, MVP" wrote:

And why would I look any where else if you read and answer these questions!

I have gotten 50+ mails since I first posted!!!

I think you just answered your own Q about why a private support group
can be a better alternative. ;-)

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine

Free MS Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word eBook: http://www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: http://www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: http://www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

Dian D. Chapman, MVP

http://www.mousetrax.com/resources.html, as previously mentioned.

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine

Free MS Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word eBook: http://www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: http://www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: http://www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

"Dian D. Chapman, MVP" wrote:

And why would I look any where else if you read and answer these questions!

I have gotten 50+ mails since I first posted!!!

I think you just answered your own Q about why a private support group
can be a better alternative. ;-)

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine

Free MS Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word eBook: http://www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: http://www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: http://www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

jeff

Yea, well. When I filled out the stuff for this one I had a choice for my
email address to be a fake one or something like that and I chose it. Fat
lot o good. Google says the same thing - "Privacy protection

Google Groups cares about the privacy of group members. You can:

€¢ "Mask" your email address so spammers can't collect it.

€¢ Remove your own posted messages if you change your mind about them. "

But thanks for the Word fix. I really appreciate it!!!