Karen

Default Who owns the copyright on graphic design layouts prepared in MS Wo

Who owns the copyright on graphic design layouts prepared in MS Word?

I designed a professional layout for a retail catalog using MS Word and
custom graphics, saved as Adobe PDF for easy download. The design is used by
several clients, who save money because it's simple to change the colour
scheme, logo and product range. Each client who uses the template receives
notification that the design is copyright to me - they avoid high graphic
design fees based on this agreement.

But... one of those clients duplicated my design and refuses to pay or
remove it from her web site. She's earned thousands of dollars from stealing
my design, so I'm pretty angry about it. She says Bill Gates owns the
copyright of everything designed in Word, so I want to check before I spend
money on legal advice.

I doubt very much if Microsoft owns copyright on everything written/designed
in Word. What do you think?
Graham Mayor

You almost certainly own the copyright. Go and see your legal advisor.
Bill Gates owns nothing that *you* have designed in Word.
The only grey issues concern the use of some of Microsoft's artwork that you
may have included.

Karen wrote:
[...]

Jezebel

Of course Microsoft doesn't own it. That's like saying that Kodak owns all
the photos because they made the film and the camera.

If you created the template, then you own it, and indeed the whole point of
copyright law is to protect someone in your position. But proving it is
another matter, particularly with designs used on the web. If all that's
involved is a few thousand dollars and your pride, then swallow it and walk
away unless you really think your money belongs in a lawyer's bank account.
At least, don't do anything while you're still angry.

"Karen" wrote in message
[...]

Karen

Hi Graham,

thanks for your response I designed all the graphics myself, except for
client logos.

After reading the answers here, I'm going to strike up a trade deal with a
lawyer so I can find out how to fight the annoying thief-woman. It just irks
me so much that she's earned thousands of dollars from my work, especially
when her own web site is littered with copyright notices and anti-right-click
coding. She insists 10 "professionals" told her that Bill Gates owned the
copyright - silly woman.

Thanks people for the replies. Seeya

Karen wrote:
[...]

Duff

Just a side note, Adobe Distiller has options to password protect any
changes being made to a .pdf file that you create. I do design work for
several people and I "lock" my work to avoid someone from changing the
content. Good luck!