Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
S. Wheeler S. Wheeler is offline

Default Half read-only, half form

I know you can have one section that is a protected form, and the rest of the
document is unprotected. Is there any way to have one section a protected
form and the rest of the document read-only?

I would protect the entire document as fill-in form, but I want users to be
able to select the non-form section - just not edit it.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

"Read-only" and "Filling in forms" are mutually exclusive options as you
protect a Word document, so I doubt this can be done.

Why do you want users to copy text in the form?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"S. Wheeler" wrote:

I know you can have one section that is a protected form, and the rest of the
document is unprotected. Is there any way to have one section a protected
form and the rest of the document read-only?

I would protect the entire document as fill-in form, but I want users to be
able to select the non-form section - just not edit it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
S. Wheeler[_2_] S. Wheeler[_2_] is offline

Not text in the form, per se, as text elsewhere in the document. There are
addresses and other instructions that users may want to copy and paste for
usage.

To clarify, it's an instructional document, and the last page is a fill-in
form. I'd like users to be able to fill in the form for their own use and
printing, but not to change text in the rest of the document - while
retaining the ability to copy and paste addresses and instructions.

"S. Wheeler" wrote:

I know you can have one section that is a protected form, and the rest of the
document is unprotected. Is there any way to have one section a protected
form and the rest of the document read-only?

I would protect the entire document as fill-in form, but I want users to be
able to select the non-form section - just not edit it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I guess this could be done via a macro that temporarily unprotects the
document. For the details, however, you'd better ask in a programming
newsgroup, such as microsoft.public.word.vba.general.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"S. Wheeler" wrote:

I know you can have one section that is a protected form, and the rest
of the
document is unprotected. Is there any way to have one section a
protected
form and the rest of the document read-only?

I would protect the entire document as fill-in form, but I want users
to be
able to select the non-form section - just not edit it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TommyB TommyB is offline

You could also use the Track Changes function, so that even if they do modify
the document, you will have visibility as to what they have done. Depends on
the level of control you require.
--
TommyB

"S. Wheeler" wrote:

I know you can have one section that is a protected form, and the rest
of the
document is unprotected. Is there any way to have one section a
protected
form and the rest of the document read-only?

I would protect the entire document as fill-in form, but I want users
to be
able to select the non-form section - just not edit it.

How do I create half of page 1 column and other half 2 column SEC Page Layout 1 August 10th 06 09:51 PM
How do I justify a line with half left and half right nancyd Microsoft Word Help 2 March 17th 06 08:48 PM
half-space Ben Microsoft Word Help 3 March 6th 06 03:53 PM
Drawing a Half-Circle and Half-Ellipse (Word 2003)? W. Watson New Users 3 January 27th 06 04:18 PM
Only half the data.... EmZ Microsoft Word Help 3 October 18th 05 06:00 AM