Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brendan Brendan is offline

Default Autoformatting bug with IncreaseIndent and DecreaseIndent

I often take notes when on phone-calls using multi-level lists. I'll set F11
to DecreaseIndent and F12 to IncreaseIndent. This enables me to quickly
change my heirarchy of notes as I type, even if I'm in the middle of a line.

The problem is that IncreaseIndent does not work the same as
Shift-Alt-RightArrow. Instead it triggers some kind of auto-formatting
nightmare that I can't identify that causes ALL of the multi-level list items
to immediately join the item being manipulated at it's same level. In other
words, it flattens the list.

I can tell this is auto-formatting in action because when I hit Control-Z
once, I get the result I want.

This is easy to replicate: set a shortcut key for IncreaseIndent, create a
multi-level list, start typing, add a line or two at different indent levels,
then try using your shortcut key. Note that if you select multiple lines at
once, the IncreaseIndent functions as it should. Just when you are in a
single line, death by auto-formatting kicks in.

I have tried to turn off, experiment-style, various auto-formatting options
one by one, but the solution has eluded me. If anyone can help, I'd be very
grateful.

-Brendan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

See if http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...eformatted.htm
helps.

Also, note that Alt+Shift+Left/Right arrow are assigned to the
OutlinePromote and OutlineDemote commands, respectively. You can make use of
those instead of IncreaseIndent and DecreaseIndent when working with
multilevel lists.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP