Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
tiasunday tiasunday is offline

Default how do i keep the original date on my document

how do I retreive the original date of my document because it changes to the
current date once i open it? is the 'modified date that comes up once you
highlight the document the original date?? (I havent made any changes to my
document since i created it) please help and please keep it simple lol
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Press Alt+F9 to display the DATE field code and change it to CREATEDATE.
Then Alt+F9 to toggle back and F9 to update the field.

http://word.mvps.org

"tiasunday" wrote in message
how do I retreive the original date of my document because it changes to
the
current date once i open it? is the 'modified date that comes up once you
highlight the document the original date?? (I havent made any changes to
my
document since i created it) please help and please keep it simple lol

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 18:10:01 -0700, tiasunday
wrote:

how do I retreive the original date of my document because it changes to the
current date once i open it? is the 'modified date that comes up once you
highlight the document the original date?? (I havent made any changes to my
document since i created it) please help and please keep it simple lol

The date is being displayed by a DATE field. Every time that field updates, it
shows today's date (or whatever the system clock is set to).

What you want instead is a CREATEDATE field, which always shows the date the
document was created.

To make the change, right-click the date and choose Toggle Field Codes. You'll
see something like

{ DATE \@ "M/d/yyyy" }

Put the cursor to the left of the word DATE and type in CREATE before it so it
looks like

{ CREATEDATE \@ "M/d/yyyy" }

Right-click again and choose Update Field.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman