Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Melissa

Default List numbering in table keeps restarting each row

I've encountered this problem since ages ago and always ended up manually
changing the starting number for each row... hopefully, by posting this, I'll
finally get an answer! :-D

Anyway, I have an existing table created by somebody else and I want to
reformat it using Styles as well as make corrections to the table and text.
Now, what happens when I add a new row is that the numbering restarts itself
at 1. The good news is that Word recognises that it should use the same
style as the row above (if i do an Insert Row Below). I checked Format
Numbering and notice that the "Continue with previous" is turned on so I
can't understand why the numbering should restart.

To add to my puzzlement (and frustration), I experimented by creating a new
table at the end of the same document and applied the same numbering style.
When I insert a new row, the numbering continues from previous!!!

Can anybody shed light on this apparent inconsistency?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?TWVsaXNzYQ==?=,

I'm not a numbering expert, but since no one else has responded...

Was the original document/table perhaps created in a different version of Word?
The behavior of numbering has changed in each release, so it may be that the
structures in the old table are causing the numbering to follow a different set
of rules. If the structures of the table are fairly simple (no or only a very
few merged cells) you might try using Table/Convert/Table to text, then
Table/convert/Text to Table to regenerate the table.

Note that you may first need/want to remove the numbering (change the style),
then reapply it after recreating the table. You'd also need to replace any
paragraph marks currently in the table with something else before doing the
conversions, then replace that something else after the conversion to get them
back.

[...]

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org