Gregg Roberts

Default Unable to save in Word 2000, no error message

All,

I have Word 2000 SP-3 (9.0.6926) on two Dell systems, one a laptop running
Windows XP and the other a desktop running W2K Pro. I sent myself a document
from one PC to another because I'm having an unrelated issue with the PC that
I usually use. However, I cannot save changes on the new PC. The Save As
dialog does not appear through either the F12 key or the File Save As menu
option. Clicking Save does not update the timestamp of the file. I have tried
sending the file first through email, then again directly through a shared
drive on the new PC -- nothing. No error messages, just a complete lack of
normal response. If I set the Save Options to Always Create a Backup Copy, I
get prompted to save when I close the doc, but clicking Yes does not make it
save.

Thanks for any help.

Gregg Roberts
Gregg Roberts

The same problem exists after I simply open a new document on the new system.

Big Dave UK

If it's simply doing nothing it sounds like there may be some macro code
over-riding the Save function. I had a Word macro virus that did this to me.
If you get this simply doing a FileNew the code must be in your Normal.dot
template (the template upon which all Word files are based). I would suggest
finding and removing all Normal.dot files you can find. Word will re-create a
new 'clean' normal.dot when it doesn't find one and you should be ok from
then on.

The same problem exists after I simply open a new document on the new system.

Gregg Roberts

Bless you, Big Dave! That fixed it.

I didn't see any funky macro code in the messed-up Normal.dot, but an
inaccessible module was visible in the VBA window in addition to Module 1. It
had a gobbledy-gook name which I did not write down (DnclCRG, or something
like that). A German discussion group on Word said it had to do with Dragon
Naturally Speaking, which is installed on this system. I don't know why its
mere presence would break Word -- I have used Word successfully since the
install -- but anyway the problem is solved.
--
Gregg Roberts