Peter

Default emphasis marks - dot

My daughter asked me to print a document that had emphasis marks turned on
(View, Toolbars, Customize, Extended Formatting). After I printed her
document, the emphasis marks defaulted into the "on" position on all WORD
(2003 Professional) files. I changed the Normal.dot to eliminate them and
thought it was repaired.

However, when I open a new e-mail in Microsoft Outlook Professional 2003, in
HTML format, the emphasis marks are "on" by default still. The only way to
turn them off is to have the extended formatting toolbar open and click off
the setting. I cannot figure out how to make the default settings exclude the
emphasis marks!

I have restored the computer to an earlier date (prior to all this
happening) and it didn't resolve it. I have uninstalled Microsoft Office
Professional 2003 (using Add/Remove Programs) and reinstalled it. The problem
persists.

How do I change the default toolbar settings to exclude the emphasis marks?
Graham Mayor

For some reason Word 2003 has an unfortunate habit of changing default
settings, seemingly at random. The only sure way to correct this is to force
the required settings in auto macros. For this particular setting, add the
following line to autoopen and autonew macros and the emphasis marks should
be forced off whichever document you open or create. The command switches
off the setting on the Extended Formatting toolbar.

Selection.Font.EmphasisMark = wdEmphasisMarkNone

See http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

Peter wrote:
[...]

Peter

I turned off the Extended Formatting toolbar (how do you "remove" a toolbar)
and the support for Japanese through Microsoft Office Tools Language Settings
was already (by default) turned off.

"Peter" wrote in message
[...]

From what I read in help, the Extended Formatting toolbar works only if you
have support for Japanese installed. I suggested "removing" the toolbar
because you said you'd added it through Tools | Customize; this is more than
a matter of turning it on or off: it does not appear on the toolbar list at
all unless it is checked on the Toolbars tab of the Customize dialog.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What happens if you remove the Extended Formatting toolbar and then

disable
support for Japanese through Microsoft Office Tools | Microsoft Office

2003
Language Settings?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Peter" wrote in message
[...]

Graham Mayor

Hmmm. I don't have support for Japanese installed and the Extended
Formatting toolbar works here
In fact I hadn't discovered this toolbar until I read this thread and it
will probably stay neglected in the future

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
From what I read in help, the Extended Formatting toolbar works only
if you have support for Japanese installed. I suggested "removing"