Tom V

Default In Word quotation marks do not print immediately. Why?

When I include a word or phrase in quotation marks, the actual marks do not
appear until the next character is keyed. I am used to seeing them appear
immediately. This occurred spontaneously. I know there is a checkbox
somewhere to remedy this, but I can't find it . It probably has something to
do with accented letters. My version of Word is 2002. Thank you.

tomv44

Sounds reasonable, but I selected the keyboard from a drop down definitive
list to set up the keyboard; i.e. "Microsoft Wireless Multimedia Keyboard",
which directed me to check the model on the bottom of same.

Perhaps you refer to a selection within the Word programme itself?
Directions please. And thank you very much for your time. Tom

"Tom V" Tom wrote in message
When I include a word or phrase in quotation marks, the actual marks do

not
appear until the next character is keyed. I am used to seeing them appear
immediately. This occurred spontaneously. I know there is a checkbox
somewhere to remedy this, but I can't find it . It probably has something

do with accented letters. My version of Word is 2002. Thank you.

See Control Panel | Regional Options | Input Locales.

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You've probably got an international keyboard layout selected instead of
English (U.S.).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Tom V" Tom wrote in message
When I include a word or phrase in quotation marks, the actual marks

do
not
appear until the next character is keyed. I am used to seeing them

appear
immediately. This occurred spontaneously. I know there is a checkbox
somewhere to remedy this, but I can't find it . It probably has

something
do with accented letters. My version of Word is 2002. Thank you.

Jay Freedman

Hi Tom,

The "keyboard layout" refers to a setting in Windows, not the hardware or
the setting in Word.

Go to http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm and follow one
of the two procedures under "Set the desired default language in Windows",
depending on your Windows version. I'd recommend that you also follow the
remaining procedures there, in case other things are messed up.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Tom V" Tom wrote in message
When I include a word or phrase in quotation marks, the actual
marks do not appear until the next character is keyed. I am used to
seeing them appear immediately. This occurred spontaneously. I know
there is a checkbox somewhere to remedy this, but I can't find it .
It probably has something to do with accented letters. My version
of Word is 2002. Thank you.

tomv44

Suzanne,
You were exactly correct with your first response. Pardon my complete
ignorance.
We non-US English speakers don't usually take much notice of such
refinements. Thanks again. Tom

Jay, your elaborations gave excellent direction. I took your advice for the
remaining procedures. So, the problem is fixed, and I am much the wiser!

Tom

"Tom V" wrote:

When I include a word or phrase in quotation marks, the actual marks do not
appear until the next character is keyed. I am used to seeing them appear
immediately. This occurred spontaneously. I know there is a checkbox
somewhere to remedy this, but I can't find it . It probably has something to
do with accented letters. My version of Word is 2002. Thank you.

Steve King

I've followed all of these suggestions and still have the quote marks delay
issue. I only have a choice of English (New Zealand) in my Input Locales
language window. I'm loath to remove the United States- International
keyboard setting in case I lose the keyboard completely!
Steve

"Tom V" wrote:

When I include a word or phrase in quotation marks, the actual marks do not
appear until the next character is keyed. I am used to seeing them appear
immediately. This occurred spontaneously. I know there is a checkbox
somewhere to remedy this, but I can't find it . It probably has something to
do with accented letters. My version of Word is 2002. Thank you.

TF

Can't help because most of the thread is missing (except the two bits you
copied). What's it all about? There are thousands of posts here - where's
this one from?

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Steve King" wrote in message
: I've followed all of these suggestions and still have the quote marks
delay
: issue. I only have a choice of English (New Zealand) in my Input Locales
: language window. I'm loath to remove the United States- International
: keyboard setting in case I lose the keyboard completely!
: Steve
:
:
: