Posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JethroUK© JethroUK© is offline

Default Is there any way to create an absolute/reliable path to a flash drive (name it maybe)?

I created several mail merges in M.S. Word that rely on an absolute path -
My plug-in flash drive adopts a variable drive letter so i can't rely on it

Is there any way to create an absolute/reliable path to a flash drive (name
it maybe?)

Posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Randall Paul Randall is offline

"JethroUK©" wrote in message
I created several mail merges in M.S. Word that rely on an absolute path -
My plug-in flash drive adopts a variable drive letter so i can't rely on it

Is there any way to create an absolute/reliable path to a flash drive
(name it maybe?)

I doubt it. A person coud own hundreds of removable drives/camera flash
cards/thumb drives/etc. With only 26 drive letters available, they can't
all have unique letters. That would be like wanting separate drive letters
for every CD or DVD you put into your CD/DVD player.

-Paul Randall

Posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

JethroUK© wrote:
I created several mail merges in M.S. Word that rely on an absolute
path - My plug-in flash drive adopts a variable drive letter so i
can't rely on it
Is there any way to create an absolute/reliable path to a flash drive
(name it maybe?)

Not automatically. But after you plug in the drive you can change its drive
letter:

- Right-click the My Computer icon on the desktop and choose Manage.
- Click the Disk Management icon in the tree.
- Right-click the rectangle in the lower right window that represents the
flash drive.
- Choose "Change drive letter and paths".
- Select the drive letter used in the mail merge, assuming it's available.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman