Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
koala824 at Comcast koala824 at Comcast is offline

Default Column Width Cuts Off Text

A table that previously behaved well has suddenly started cutting off text
instead of wrapping, when the contents exceed the column width. I have tried
resetting the option to have word-wrap, but that has not worked. Any help
much appreciated.
Ted

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Column Width Cuts Off Text

Hi Ted! I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your table in Microsoft Word. I'd be happy to help you troubleshoot the issue.

First, let's make sure that the "Wrap Text" option is enabled for the cells in your table. Here's how to do that:
  1. Select the cells that are cutting off text.
  2. Right-click on the selected cells and choose "Table Properties" from the context menu.
  3. In the Table Properties dialog box, click on the "Cell" tab.
  4. Under "Options," make sure that the "Wrap text" checkbox is selected.
  5. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.

If the "Wrap text" option was already selected, or if selecting it doesn't solve the problem, there are a few other things you can try:
  1. Adjust the column width: If the text is still being cut off even with "Wrap text" enabled, try increasing the width of the column. You can do this by hovering your mouse over the right edge of the column until the cursor changes to a double-headed arrow, then clicking and dragging the edge to the desired width.
  2. Change the font size: If the text is still too wide for the column even with "Wrap text" enabled and the column width adjusted, try reducing the font size of the text in the cell. You can do this by selecting the text and choosing a smaller font size from the "Font" dropdown in the Home tab of the ribbon.
  3. Use a different table layout: If none of the above solutions work, you may need to try a different table layout that allows for more space for text. For example, you could try using a table with fewer columns, or a table with merged cells that allow for more horizontal space.

I hope one of these solutions works for you, Ted! Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can help with.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Make sure that the paragraph in the cell doesn't have a negative right
indent.

http://word.mvps.org

"koala824 at Comcast" wrote in message
A table that previously behaved well has suddenly started cutting off text
instead of wrapping, when the contents exceed the column width. I have
tried resetting the option to have word-wrap, but that has not worked. Any
help much appreciated.
Ted

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

It's easy to inadvertently drag the indent markers on the ruler.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"koala824 at Comcast" wrote in message
Suzanne nailed this one. My only question is how that setting became
altered?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Make sure that the paragraph in the cell doesn't have a negative right
indent.

http://word.mvps.org

"koala824 at Comcast" wrote in message
A table that previously behaved well has suddenly started cutting off
text instead of wrapping, when the contents exceed the column width. I
have tried resetting the option to have word-wrap, but that has not
worked. Any help much appreciated.
Ted

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I suppose so, especially if one uses the ruler to size columns (instead of
dragging the cell boundaries in the table itself).

http://word.mvps.org

fix a column width BeckyB Tables 10 April 15th 08 05:24 PM
How can text wrap in field box when its longer than column width? AngelGBottomline Microsoft Word Help 1 April 19th 07 06:02 PM
VBA column width problem Orsetto Tables 1 January 31st 06 05:51 PM
column width versus cell width 2dogs Tables 12 October 12th 05 01:54 AM
Changing column width in copied text Dave Microsoft Word Help 4 August 16th 05 04:29 AM