Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Default Word Discussion Group - other areas not seen

I tend to use this forum via the MS Office Online, Communities and I see the
following areas for discussion:
General Questions
New Users
Apps Errors
Drawing & Graphics
Mailmerge & Fax
Page Layout
Programming
Tables

But I have discovered that there are other areas such as Format Long Docs,
Spelling & Grammar, etc which I do not see.

How can I see these other areas?
Do I need to go through another website?
Many thanks
DeanH
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Use a News Reader such as Outlook Express

Here is how to connect to a newsgroup server using Outlook Express
Open Outlook Express and follow these steps:

1.. On the Tools menu, click Accounts.
2.. In the Internet Account dialog box, click Add, and then click News.
The Internet Connection Wizard starts. Follow these steps in the wizard:
1.. On the first screen, in the Display name box, type the name that
other users will see when you post a message to the newsgroup, and then
click Next.
2.. On the second screen, type your full e-mail address in the E-mail
address box, and then click Next.
3.. On the third screen, in the News (NNTP) Server box, type the name of
your news server. To subscribe to the newsgroups hosted on Microsoft's
servers, type msnews.microsoft.com. If you don't know the name of your news
server, contact your Internet provider.
4.. If necessary, select the My news server requires me to log on check
box, and then click Next. If you don't know whether your server requires you
to log on, contact your Internet provider. The Microsoft server does not
require a user name and password.
5.. On the last screen, click Finish.
3.. Click Close, and then click Yes when asked if you want to download
newsgroups from the account you just created. The Newsgroup Subscriptions
dialog box appears.
4.. Select the newsgroups you want to use, click Subscribe, and then click
OK.

Note Most of Microsoft newsgroups use this naming convention:
microsoft.public.application_name.specific_area. For example: you could
subscribe to microsoft.public.office.dataanalyzer, or
microsoft.public.excel.programming. However, that isn't always the case.
Don't be afraid to browse the list of groups in order to find something that
you think will be useful.

5.. On the Tools menu, click Options, click the Read tab, and then clear
the Get 300 headers at a time check box.
6.. Click the Maintenance tab, clear the Delete new messages n days after
being downloaded check box, and then click OK.
Step 5 allows you to download and read all the newsgroup's postings when you
first subscribe. Step 6 allows you to read older messages.

1.2. Subscribe or unsubscribe to newsgroups
After you establish a connection to your newsgroup server, you add
newsgroups to your list by subscribing. You can subscribe or unsubscribe to
newsgroups at any time. Typically, you use the group name as a guide when
subscribing. For example, a name such as
microsoft.public.office.developer.outlook.forms would be a good place to
start if you need help writing a custom form for Outlook.

To subscribe

1.. Start Outlook Express.
2.. In the folder pane, click the name of your news server. For example,
if you established a connection to Microsoft's server, click
msnews.microsoft.com.
3.. In the main viewing pane, click Newsgroups.
4.. In the Newsgroup Subscriptions dialog box, select a newsgroup from the
list, and then click Subscribe.
5.. Repeat the previous step to subscribe to additional newsgroups, and
then click OK when you finish.
6.. In the main viewing pane, double-click the name of the new newsgroup.
If you only want to receive new messages since the last time you visited,
select the New messages only check box, and then double-click the newsgroup
name.

Note When you subscribe to a newsgroup for the first time, you receive
all the messages whether or not you select the New messages only check box.
To unsubscribe

a.. In the Outlook Express folder pane, right-click the newsgroup that you
want to stop using, and then click Unsubscribe on the shortcut menu.
Tips

a.. To reduce the number of items in the list of available newsgroups,
enter a phrase in the Display newsgroups which contain box. For instance,
you can enter an application name such as "publisher" or the name of a
discipline such as "programming." The list changes automatically when you
finish typing.
b.. Newsgroups in languages other than English are identified by their
names; for example, microsoft.public.fr.excel is a newsgroup for Microsoft
Excel users who speak French.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"DeanH" wrote in message
I tend to use this forum via the MS Office Online, Communities and I see
the
following areas for discussion:
General Questions
New Users
Apps Errors
Drawing & Graphics
Mailmerge & Fax
Page Layout
Programming
Tables

But I have discovered that there are other areas such as Format Long Docs,
Spelling & Grammar, etc which I do not see.

How can I see these other areas?
Do I need to go through another website?
Many thanks
DeanH

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Many thanks for this Doug.
But what if you don't have Outlook or Outlook Express? What about through
Internet Explorer (v6)?
Many thanks
DeanH

"DeanH" wrote in message
I tend to use this forum via the MS Office Online, Communities and I see
the
following areas for discussion:
General Questions
New Users
Apps Errors
Drawing & Graphics
Mailmerge & Fax
Page Layout
Programming
Tables

But I have discovered that there are other areas such as Format Long Docs,
Spelling & Grammar, etc which I do not see.

How can I see these other areas?
Do I need to go through another website?
Many thanks
DeanH

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Outlook Express ships with Windows XP & earlier. If you're running Windows
Vista it's now known as Word Mail. You should have one or the other:-)

There are also a number of third party newsreader programs available - too
numerous to list - but you might Google for them.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 11/21/07 5:34 AM, in article
, "DeanH"

"DeanH" wrote in message
I tend to use this forum via the MS Office Online, Communities and I see
the
following areas for discussion:
General Questions
New Users
Apps Errors
Drawing & Graphics
Mailmerge & Fax
Page Layout
Programming
Tables

But I have discovered that there are other areas such as Format Long Docs,
Spelling & Grammar, etc which I do not see.

How can I see these other areas?
Do I need to go through another website?
Many thanks
DeanH

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Thanks Bob.
We are on XP and use LotusNotes (unfortunate I know) here at work, there is
Outlook installed which mentions Express should be available but does not say
where and I cannot find it anywhere, so the instructions Doug sent earlier do
not tally with the available options.

I shall have a browse for another newsreader, any recommendations?
Many thanks
DeanH

"DeanH" wrote in message
I tend to use this forum via the MS Office Online, Communities and I see
the
following areas for discussion:
General Questions
New Users
Apps Errors
Drawing & Graphics
Mailmerge & Fax
Page Layout
Programming
Tables

But I have discovered that there are other areas such as Format Long Docs,
Spelling & Grammar, etc which I do not see.

How can I see these other areas?
Do I need to go through another website?
Many thanks
DeanH

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

I have found it under IE not Outlook. Am now in the process of following
Doug's instructions and finding out the server names.
Many thanks again, Bob and Doug.
DeanH

"DeanH" wrote in message
I tend to use this forum via the MS Office Online, Communities and I see
the
following areas for discussion:
General Questions
New Users
Apps Errors
Drawing & Graphics
Mailmerge & Fax
Page Layout
Programming
Tables

But I have discovered that there are other areas such as Format Long Docs,
Spelling & Grammar, etc which I do not see.

How can I see these other areas?
Do I need to go through another website?
Many thanks
DeanH

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Try a link to
"C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" /outnews
which is the default location.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"DeanH" wrote in message
I tend to use this forum via the MS Office Online, Communities
and I see the
following areas for discussion:
General Questions
New Users
Apps Errors
Drawing & Graphics
Mailmerge & Fax
Page Layout
Programming
Tables

But I have discovered that there are other areas such as Format
Long Docs, Spelling & Grammar, etc which I do not see.

How can I see these other areas?
Do I need to go through another website?
Many thanks
DeanH

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Although accessing msnews directly with an NNTP newsreader will be more
efficient for your purposes as a regular contributor, for those who post
less frequently or must use HTTP because of corporate restrictions, there
are (at least) two other entry points to the newsgroups:

There is a complete list of all the NGs in alphabetical order at
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.aspx

Find a complete list subdivided by language at

"DeanH" wrote in message
I tend to use this forum via the MS Office Online, Communities and I see

the
following areas for discussion:
General Questions
New Users
Apps Errors
Drawing & Graphics
Mailmerge & Fax
Page Layout
Programming
Tables

But I have discovered that there are other areas such as Format Long Docs,
Spelling & Grammar, etc which I do not see.

How can I see these other areas?
Do I need to go through another website?
Many thanks
DeanH

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

It does appear that I come under the category of "corporate restrictions" :-(
Any way, many thanks for the lins below, one I did not have before.
All the best
DeanH

"DeanH" wrote in message
I tend to use this forum via the MS Office Online, Communities and I see

the
following areas for discussion:
General Questions
New Users
Apps Errors
Drawing & Graphics
Mailmerge & Fax
Page Layout
Programming
Tables

But I have discovered that there are other areas such as Format Long Docs,
Spelling & Grammar, etc which I do not see.

How can I see these other areas?
Do I need to go through another website?
Many thanks
DeanH

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You're welcome. Over the course of development of the Web-based discussion
groups, there have been many attempts to create usable hierarchies and
portals. The result has been a confusing mish-mash of entry points. One of
my frequent complaints is that it is so difficult for Works users to find
the Works NGs. Just try doing it from the Works home page!

"DeanH" wrote in message
It does appear that I come under the category of "corporate restrictions"
:-(

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Although accessing msnews directly with an NNTP newsreader will be more
efficient for your purposes as a regular contributor, for those who post
less frequently or must use HTTP because of corporate restrictions, there
are (at least) two other entry points to the newsgroups:

There is a complete list of all the NGs in alphabetical order at
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.aspx

Find a complete list subdivided by language at
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.aspx

so
all may benefit.