Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
mkgg mkgg is offline

Default Using Mail Merge to create a log

Hello,

Does anyone know how to use data from an Excel spreadsheet to create a log
in Word through the use of Mail Merge? I am able to merge data but each line
of data appears on a spearate page instead of in a list (as you would use to
log data).

If I may -- one more related question. Does anyone know how to change the
default in the Mail Merge regarding the merge fields. I would like to set up
the database (using Excel) where the merge fields are listed vertically
rather than horizontal (column headings).

I am using Office Suite 2000.

Thank You,
mkgg
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I am able to merge data but each line
of data appears on a spearate page instead of in a list (as you would use
log data).

When you create your Mail merge Main document, set the mail merge type to be
"Catalog" (Or it may be "Directory" in Word 2000, I forget), rather than
"Form Letters."

If I may -- one more related question. Does anyone know how to change the
default in the Mail Merge regarding the merge fields. I would like to set
up
the database (using Excel) where the merge fields are listed vertically
rather than horizontal (column headings).

Can you clarify please?
a. do you want the Excel sheet to have, e.g.

(1)
field1 f1v1 f1v2 f1v3...
field2 f2v1 f2v2 f2v3...

rather than the usual

(2)
field1 field2
f1v1 f2v1
f1v2 f2v2
f1v3 f2v3
..
..

? If so, Word cannot work with the layout (1) as a data source (as far as I
know) and you would have to use Excel to create a worksheet that uses layout
(2) before merging.
b. Or are you saying that you want the /output/ in Word to be more like

(3)
field1 f1v1 f1v2 f1v3...
field2 f2v1 f2v2 f2v3...

? Or perhaps more like

(4)
field1: f1v1
field2: f2v1

field1: f1v2
field2: f2v2

(3) doesnt really make sense to me. I don't see a problem with doing layout
(4)

Or do you mean something else?

Peter Jamieson