Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
AlanMelly AlanMelly is offline

Default Change registry policy settings

Im using office pro 2003. I'm attempting to open a doc and i get an error
message saying"you are attempting to open a document created in an earlier
version of office. this file type is blocked from opening by your registyry
policy setting."
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

This is caused by a security-related part of Service Pack 3, which was
probably installed on your computer by Microsoft Update in the last
week or so. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941636/, particularly
the Workaround section that refers you to
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938810/.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JTR JTR is offline

I downloaded Office SP3 yesterday and now can no longer access Lotus files.
(I get the "blocked by your registry policy setting" error) I looked at the
KB938810 document and in the instructions for "Excel" it says to look for the
"LotusandQuattroFiles" registry entry. I used the search feature and it
couldn't be located.

I was able to get to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\E xcel, but there was no
"Security" or "FileOpenBlock" sub-folders within "Excel". I also couldn't
find "FileOpenBlock" using the registry search feature.

Any suggestions?
--
JTR

wrote:

Im using office pro 2003. I'm attempting to open a doc and i get an error
message saying"you are attempting to open a document created in an earlier
version of office. this file type is blocked from opening by your registyry
policy setting."

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JTR JTR is offline

OK, I found another document, KB922848, this provides instructions for a
"work around" for Excel 2003, but requires that you stipulate which directory
folders you want to "exempt" from restrictions. The "work around" stipulates
the addition of a new key and string values under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\C ommon

This folder was on my registry.
--
JTR

wrote:

Im using office pro 2003. I'm attempting to open a doc and i get an error
message saying"you are attempting to open a document created in an earlier
version of office. this file type is blocked from opening by your registyry
policy setting."

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JTR JTR is offline

Update to my earlier post.
Yes, I can now open the Lotus files, but unfortunately I cannot save them.
Despite following the instructions in KB922848, not only do I get the 'You
are attempting to save a file that is blocked by your registry policy
setting" message, but when I close the file, and am asked if I want to save
the changes, it destroys the saved file! My old Lotus file is now corrupt
and can't be "undeleted". Only if I change the file type, in "save as" to an
Excel file, can I keep the file.

This is not a good situation.
--
JTR