Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Thomas M. Thomas M. is offline

Default Missing Paper Trays in Page Setup

Word 2003

We have an HP LaserJet 4000 that is connected directly to a PC and shared
out. The printer has the following configuration:

Envelop Feeder - Installed and enabled with paper type set to Envelop
Tray 1 - Enabled manual feed tray with paper type set to plain
Tray 2 - Enabled 500 sheet tray with paper type set to plain
Tray 3 - Installed and enabled with paper type set to plain

However, when the user opens a document in Microsoft Word, selects the HP
4000 printer, and goes to File Page Setup Paper tab, the only options
for the paper source a

Default Tray
Form Select

I've removed and reinstalled the printer and driver a couple of times and
each time that I re-install the printer the problem recurs. Are there any
Word settings that would cause this problem?

--Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Thomas

Thomas M. wrote:
We have an HP LaserJet 4000 that is connected directly to a PC and shared
out. The printer has the following configuration:

Envelop Feeder - Installed and enabled with paper type set to Envelop
Tray 1 - Enabled manual feed tray with paper type set to plain
Tray 2 - Enabled 500 sheet tray with paper type set to plain
Tray 3 - Installed and enabled with paper type set to plain

However, when the user opens a document in Microsoft Word, selects the HP
4000 printer, and goes to File Page Setup Paper tab, the only options
for the paper source a

Form Select

Did you make sure that these trays are also activated in the printer
driver settings?

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Thomas M. Thomas M. is offline

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote in message
Hi Thomas

Thomas M. wrote:
[...]

I assume that you mean in the printer properties (Right-click on printer in
Printer and Faxes and select Properties). If so, then the answer is yes.
That's what I meant when I listed the configuration in my original post.
The envelope feeder and Tray 3 are listed as "installed and enabled" because
they are options that need to be physically installed, and then enabled in
the driver. Trays 1 and 2 are included with the base printer and therefore
don't need to be installed, but they do need to be configured.

So in the printer driver on the Configure tab I have selected "HP LaserJet
4000 T / 4000 TN" as the base printer, and that adds tray 3. I also have
the envelope feeder box checked. Then on the NT forms tab the Available
Trays drop-down box shows the envelope feeder and all 3 paper trays, and I
have assigned paper sizes and types to each.

I also made sure that all the trays are enabled on the printer itself
(through the printer's internal console).

--Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thomas M. wrote:
[...]

OK, then this should work. I've personally worked with a HP 4000 TN at a
job a year or so ago, and we had no problem accessing trays.
Unfortunately, I cannot go there and check (I don't work there anymore .-)).

Do you have access to the trays from other applications (Office,
non-Office)?

At this stage, I'd try some HP support (homepage)?

Greetings
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thomas M. wrote:
[...]

.-)).

Do you have access to the trays from other applications (Office,
non-Office)?

At this stage, I'd try some HP support (homepage)?

Greetings
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
X Against HTML | for
/ \ in e-mail & news | Word

We found the problem. It was a corrupt driver. We tried to simply remove
and reinstall the SAME driver, but that didn't work, so we upgraded to a PCL
6 driver (from PLC 5e) and that solved the problem.

Thanks for the help!

--Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thomas M. wrote:
We found the problem. It was a corrupt driver. We tried to simply remove
and reinstall the SAME driver, but that didn't work, so we upgraded to a PCL
6 driver (from PLC 5e) and that solved the problem.

Ahh, right, I should've thought about switching drivers from PS to PCL
or vice versa.

Glad you got it sorted out!
Robert
--