Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefano Gatto Stefano Gatto is offline

Default "Don't hyphen" option in the Paragraph menu

This is my suggestion about clarity of Word's user-interface.

The Paragraph/"Don't hyphen" option in Word is somewhat hard to realize
because it is negatively phrased. Unchecked it means that the user chose not
to not hyphenate, which simply means hyphanate.

In general, I think it's better not to create negative attributes having
binary values and that all attribute should state positively, whatever the
default value is. This remark is also valid for program variables by the way
:-))

In this particular case, this option would be clearer if it simply stated
"Hyphenate"...

For compatibility, simply create a new property which yields the opposite of
the already existing one...
--
Stefano Gatto

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

In fact, I think it is a good thing that the option is called "Don't
hyphenate," because you use it to *prevent* text from being
automatically hyphenated. Imagine the confusion if the option said
"Hyphenate" and was checked by default, when you actually turn on
hyphenation via Tools | Language | Hyphenation.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefano Gatto" wrote in message
[...]

This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to

the
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click

the "I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,

follow this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader

and then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefano Gatto Stefano Gatto is offline

I am sorry but I don't see where would be the confusion exactly. I was simply
talking about the phrasing of the check box...

Instead of saying "Don't Hyphenate" it should say "Hyphenate" and show the
opposite value compared to now, regardless of the default value (which I
doubt any default value exists per sé, the actual "default" value is the one
of the paragraph in the normal.dot or the paragraph inheriting from it...).

Again, it's a pure user-interface suggestion, nothing else should change
(even VBA's "ParagraphFormat.Hyphenation" remains the same).
--
Stefano Gatto

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

In fact, I think it is a good thing that the option is called "Don't
hyphenate," because you use it to *prevent* text from being
automatically hyphenated. Imagine the confusion if the option said
"Hyphenate" and was checked by default, when you actually turn on
hyphenation via Tools | Language | Hyphenation.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefano Gatto" wrote in message
This is my suggestion about clarity of Word's user-interface.

The Paragraph/"Don't hyphenate" option in Word is somewhat hard to realize
because it is negatively phrased. Unchecked it means that the user chose not
to not hyphenate, which simply means hyphanate.

In general, I think it's better not to create negative attributes having
binary values and that all attribute should state positively, whatever the
default value is. This remark is also valid for program variables by the way
:-))

In this particular case, this option would be clearer if it simply stated
"Hyphenate"...

For compatibility, simply create a new property which yields the opposite of
the already existing one...
--
Stefano Gatto

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You are right that no default value exists for "Don't hyphenate"
beyond the setting of a particular paragraph style (this is true for
any character and paragraph settings in Word).

My point is that two steps are required for hyphenation to be enabled:
you must be typing in a paragraph that doesn't have "Don't hyphenate"
enabled, and you must be typing in a document with "Automatically
hyphenate document" enabled in the Hyphenation dialog box.

In other words, the Paragraph setting defines an *exception* from the
hyphenation setting on the document level. If it was called
"Hyphenate," it wouldn't be clear that hyphenation requires an extra
step, namely, visiting the Hyphenation dialog box.

How about this for a compromise: Call the option "Allow hyphenation in
this paragraph"?

--

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefano Gatto Stefano Gatto is offline

Yes, I like very much your compromise and accept it!

My point is not to use negative sentences for check boxes ever (in any other
application not just Word), so your proposal perfectly satisfies my concern.

My first proposal to use the wording "Hyphenate" was done without being in
light of what you explained below, so definitely yours is more appropriate.
--
Thank you for your insight.
Stefano Gatto

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There are many negative statements in the Compatibility Options, but that
reflects the fact that often features added to a new version have to be
turned off in previous ones.