Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
StevenM[_2_] StevenM[_2_] is offline

Default Move Table Into Margins?

Is there a way to move a table into the margins?

Let's say we have a 13x13 pica table setting at the left margin with text
wrapped around it. Would it be possible to move that table 2 picas into the
left margin?

I tried selecting the table and giving it a negative paragraph indent, but
that just made the text inside the table disappear.

I'm using Word 2007.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steven Craig Miller
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

If the table is not wrapped, you can do as follows:
Right-click in the table and select Table Properties. On the Table tab, type
the desired negative amount in the €śIndent from left€ť field. Click OK.

From your description, I assume that your table is wrapped (Text wrapping
€śAround€ť). As far as I can see, you cannot set the €śIndent from left€ť while
text wrapping is set to €śAround€ť €“ the option is disabled. But I could make
it work as follows: While the Table Properties dialog box is open, first
change the wrapping to €ťNone€ť, then set the desired negative €ťIndent from
left€ť, then select text Wrapping €ťAround€ť again. Click OK.

Note that if you have a left cell margin defined in Table Properties Table
tab Options, the table exceeds the left margin with that amount. Either set
the left cell margin to 0 (zero) or subtract the amount from the negative
left indent you specify.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg - Microsoft MVP (Word)

"StevenM" wrote:

Is there a way to move a table into the margins?

Let's say we have a 13x13 pica table setting at the left margin with text
wrapped around it. Would it be possible to move that table 2 picas into the
left margin?

I tried selecting the table and giving it a negative paragraph indent, but
that just made the text inside the table disappear.

I'm using Word 2007.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steven Craig Miller

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On the Table tab of Table Properties you can give the entire table a
negative indent. You may need to enable one of the Compatibility Options:
Office Button | Word Options | Advanced | Compatibility Options | Layout
negative indent without checking this).

"StevenM" stevencraigmiller(at)comcast(dot)net wrote in message
Is there a way to move a table into the margins?

Let's say we have a 13x13 pica table setting at the left margin with text
wrapped around it. Would it be possible to move that table 2 picas into
the
left margin?

I tried selecting the table and giving it a negative paragraph indent, but
that just made the text inside the table disappear.

I'm using Word 2007.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steven Craig Miller

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
StevenM[_2_] StevenM[_2_] is offline

To: Suzanne S. Barnhill & Lene Fredborg,

Thanks to both of your for your help. I was looking everywhere but the right
place. In retrospect, it seems obvious. I also discovered that I could just
drag the left edge of my table into the margin. But I prefer using the Table
Properties, since one can enter a precise number. Its a little odd that one
has to set the indent first, then re-enter the Table Properties to set text
wrapping.

Thanks again for your help.

Steven Craig Miller