Rick Charnes

Default Max number of bookmarks?

Hi, is there a maximum number of bookmarks allowed in a Word 2003
document? Looks like I'm going to need up to 1500...

According to "Operating parameter limitations and specifications in Word"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211489), the number is 16,379.

"Rick Charnes" wrote in message
om...
Hi, is there a maximum number of bookmarks allowed in a Word 2003
document? Looks like I'm going to need up to 1500...

Daiya Mitchell

On 8/31/05 6:41 AM, "Rick Charnes" wrote:

Hi, is there a maximum number of bookmarks allowed in a Word 2003
document? Looks like I'm going to need up to 1500...

Earlier versions of Word had a "limits for Word" topic in the Help, which
put the max bookmarks at 16,379. I'm not sure it's known whether Word 2003
doesn't have this information because it doesn't apply, or because it simply
got left out by mistake.

However, in case it does apply, you should realize that Word uses hidden
bookmarks to track every entry in a TOC or Index, and those count against
the max.

The only person I know of who ran into this limit was doing a genealogy in
Word, and I *think* had all the names in his family tree in both the TOC and
the Index, *and* using an older version, had ran into the problem where Word
doesn't always delete the bookmarks from a previous TOC, so there were all
these useless bookmarks hanging around.

So I think you should be fine.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

The article I cited applies to Word 2000, 2002, and 2003.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Daiya Mitchell

I noticed. But the help topic is gone in Word 2003, right? So that means it
was a mistake to leave it out?

I know this topic of limits has come up before but didn't remember the
existence of the KB article.

Daiya

On 8/31/05 9:42 AM, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Yes, I'm not sure why they left out the Help article except as part of the
trend of trimming Help to the supposedly most "helpful" topics.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
I noticed. But the help topic is gone in Word 2003, right? So that means

it
was a mistake to leave it out?

I know this topic of limits has come up before but didn't remember the
existence of the KB article.

Daiya

On 8/31/05 9:42 AM, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The article I cited applies to Word 2000, 2002, and 2003.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

[...]

Daiya Mitchell

Yeah, I've recently noticed--and been infuriated by--the failure of Help to
suggest other methods, thus deceiving people who went looking for
information into thinking there is no other way to do what they want, and
increasing their anger when they discover that Help effectively "lied" to
them.

Although, clearly, anybody who bothers to look in Help is ready to absorb
more information and therefore that "information overload" malarkey doesn't
apply.

Ya gotta wonder where these decisions come from.