Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
AnneZ

Default Inserting Graphics into 2 column documents

I'm working with a medical document that is in two columns. I have to insert
various tables and figures, some that are two large to fit in one column. I
can do it by inserting text boxes and continuous breaks, but when i do this
the text above the figure reads across in two columns instead of starting
above the figure and continuing below the figure in the same column. Is
there a way to format so that I can insert a figure larger than one column
but still have the text read down the column instead of across?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Tim in Ottawa

You may not need to use section breaks. I am assuming by figures you mean
graphics, such as a picture. Use the text runaround on the graphics instead.
Right click on your graphic, select "format graphic", select the "layout"
tab, select "square", click the "advanced" button, and use the numbers at the
bottom to push the text away from your graphic. I sometimes find it easier to
put the graphic in a blank document and do all these settings, then copy and
paste into your working document where you want it to be anchored. You can do
all the same with text boxes, so perhaps put your tables into a text box.

Inserting graphics into 2 columns can seem a bit nutty until you get used to
it. Sometimes it is easier to anchor the graphic (or text box) to the page,
rather than let it flow with the text.

"AnneZ" wrote:

I'm working with a medical document that is in two columns. I have to insert
various tables and figures, some that are two large to fit in one column. I
can do it by inserting text boxes and continuous breaks, but when i do this
the text above the figure reads across in two columns instead of starting
above the figure and continuing below the figure in the same column. Is
there a way to format so that I can insert a figure larger than one column
but still have the text read down the column instead of across?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz

Mostly for AnnieZ, to clarify a couple of points, although I have no issue
with Tim's initial suggestions. The last sentence, however, implies
something which *can't* be done - which is to anchor an object to a *page*.

Objects in Word are always a part of the 'text flow', it's just a matter of
whether they are treated as a 'character' (In Line with Text) or allowed to
'float' (by applying some form of Text Wrapping). Even in the latter case,
the object is anchored to a *paragraph*, not to a page.

For these reasons & many others, you may want to consider doing doc layout
like this in a layout program rather than your word processor.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 6/1/06 4:11 PM, in article
, "Tim in Ottawa"

"AnneZ" wrote:

I'm working with a medical document that is in two columns. I have to insert
various tables and figures, some that are two large to fit in one column. I
can do it by inserting text boxes and continuous breaks, but when i do this
the text above the figure reads across in two columns instead of starting
above the figure and continuing below the figure in the same column. Is
there a way to format so that I can insert a figure larger than one column
but still have the text read down the column instead of across?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You can't "anchor" a graphic to a page, but you can define its position
relative to the page or margins rather than relative to the paragraph to
which it is anchored.