Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Distressed Distressed is offline

Default Can not open Microsoft Word 2007 files on computer

Okay, so you know my system details: I have a Dell Studio XPS 16 laptop with
Vista Home Premium 64-bit on it and McAfee Security Center. Now the problem,

When I first got my laptop and installed Microsoft Office on it, Word worked
more or less fine. One thing that was kinda weird from the beginning was the
fact that sometimes and error message dialog box would pop up when I would
double-click a word document to open that said something to the effect of
"can not find file" on it. I found that if I already had Microsoft Word
open, that the word document would immediately open on the first double-click.

Now Microsoft Word won't allow me to open any word documents. I have tried
double clicking them, Ctrl+O, and even selecting Open after pressing the
Office button- but nothing will work. Every time I try to open a word
document, Microsoft Word freezes. Strangely enough, I just discovered that I
can open documents that are in the recently open documents that pop up
whenever you place the cursor over the Open selection in the Office button-
but other than that nada.

I have run diagnostics (no errors were found), done a repair, and
reinstalled it all to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I
can do?