Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
inner peace inner peace is offline

Default Spell check in Word 2000 Professional

I have Word 2000 Professional but for some reason when I try to spell check a
document, the spell checker seems to be disabled. When I tried to enable it I
received the message that MS Spell3.dill and mssp232.dill were not found.
Does anyone know how I can get these files? If not, any suggestions for
getting my spellchecker to work? Thanks
--
Paul
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Paul,

I have Word 2000 Professional but for some reason when I try to spell check a
document, the spell checker seems to be disabled. When I tried to enable it I
received the message that MS Spell3.dill and mssp232.dill were not found.

This used to be an FAQ and I've been trying to remember what the solution was.
It's been quite a few years since I last tried to access those gray cells...

I believe the cause was installing some other software (Works, or Publisher or
Outlook Express, perhaps). The solution, though, is eluding me...

OK, searching the Knowledge Base turns up
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/273965

Which might help. But I seem to recall it could be something else. Scanning
through all the search hits
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Sea...y=mssp232&ac=8

it seems to me that this happened if Word was installed as part of Works. As
long as Word is run from within Works, the spelling would work. You'd only run
into problems if you tried to use it "stand-alone".

(Note: in the future, be very careful to type exactly what you see in the
message. The file names end with DLL, not "dill", for example. And there are
certainly no spaces. I just happened to be familiar with the topic, but others
might not be and won't be able to research the problem.)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)