marrover1

Default Word for Max X - spelling and grammar stopped checking document.

Word has stopped checking the spelling and grammar on larger files. The
thesaurus won't load. Has worked previously and just recently having problems.

Preferences have not been changed. Grammar part of prferences window greyed
out and not user changable.

Reloaded the whole Office app folder to ibook and checked on another
computer but No Joy!

Help!!!

Daiya Mitchell

This is a Mac-specific problem, and you should probably have posted it on a
Mac-specific ng, but I might be able to help anyhow.
See here for gateway to Mac-specific ngs:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/community/community.aspx?pid=newsgroups

Re your problem:
I think that's caused by a corrupt preferences file. See here for how to
test it.
word.mvps.org/MacWordNew/DamagedPrefs.htm
(hit refresh a few times in Safari, or use a different browser)

If it's only happening on certain files, the language might not be properly
assigned. You have to assign a language to the text for Word to spellcheck
it.

To test this, with the cursor in a word that isn't being checked, go to
Tools | Language and see what comes up selected.

To assign a language, select all text and use Tools | Language.

Reloaded the whole Office app folder to ibook and checked on another
computer but No Joy!

I don't know what this means but it sounds unlikely to be a good procedure
to fix anything. In fact, it sounds as though you probably screwed up your
installation by doing an incomplete reinstallation, see here if the above
does not work:

word.mvps.org/MacWordNew/removeReinstall.htm
(hit refresh a few times in Safari, or use a different browser)

If none of these work or you have follow-up questions, *please* post on the
MacWord group from the first link I gave you--this group has far too much
traffic and you will get a faster answer over there. You should also be able
to find the MacWord group somewhere in the MS web interface, I just don't
know where, exactly.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/