MacGyverS2000

Default Image caption chapter # STYLEREF keeps reseting itself after editi

WinXP with Word 2003 SP1...

How do I prevent the STYLEREF info from changing in an image caption? After
editing the ref, I check the box that says "Preserve formatting during
updates", but no joy.

I have modified the headers in the document to be based upon the default
Heading 1, 2, etc. with new style names (EOI Header L1, etc.).

When I first insert a caption and check the "Include chapter number" box,
the chapter portion of the caption always comes back as "Error! No text of
specified style in document". OK, so toggling the field code shows
"{STYLEREF 1 \s}". I right click and edit the field to make it "{STYLEREF
"EOI Header L1" \s}", click the Preserve formatting box, then update the
field. This places the correct style (and value) in the chapter section of
the caption. It looks fine!

However, when I edit the next caption, the previous image's caption has
reverted back to "Error!..." and the STYLEREF has reverted back to {STYLEREF
1 \s}... my edits to the field have disappeared.

What else do I need to do?

MacGyverS2000

As I spend more time with this one, it's obvious there's more that needs to
be done to the document to allow this to work. Although I've moved further
along, I'm still not at the end with a solution...

Since my original post, I realized the numbered heading styles were
Paragraph-based and not Numbered List-based... that has now been remedied.

To add more information to the puzzle... inside the "Numbering" button
selection window of the caption window, I check the "Include chapter number"
box. when I click OK, I get the following error:
"There is no chpater number to include in the caption or page number. To
apply chapter numbers use the Bullets and Numbering command on the format
menu and select a multilevel list style that is linked to the Heading styles."

The error was a useful piece of information (with some digging) to make it
to the next level, but it's still not enough. From the main menu, I clicked
Format-Bullets and Numbering... and selected the List Styles tab. I clicked
"Add" and brought up the "New Style" window. Once there, I clicked Format,
chose Numbering, and selected the Numbering format I had previously modified.

So, I now have an appropriately named List Style tied to the appropriate
Numbered Heading Style. However, I still get the same error message when I
choose Numbering in the caption window, so something is still not linked
correctly...

Any ideas/suggestions?

MacGyverS2000

Suzanne,

Many thanks for the links... the first one seems to be what I needed. I'll
want to play with it some more to be on the safe side, but it appears to have
resolved the issue.

One minor detail I'm still confused about... providing a name in the
"ListNum Field List Name" box. I don't believe that was the failure point
for my last attempt (sometimes it pays to start from the beginning), but
since I never referenced that name again as I was setting things up, I'm not
sure what use it is.

The link suggests modifying the default Headings directly to get the exact
format you were looking for. My first attempt was to leave the default
headings alone, create new styles that linked to the default headings and
modify the newly created styles.

Obviously my method didn't work and the linked method from Shauna Kelly did,
but it leave me wondering if my method was at fault or merely a simple
overlooked mistake early on that filtered through the process and made the
final result fail. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to test out my
theory again, but maybe sometime in the future.

I have to agree with Shauna's assessment that Microsoft makes it hard to
decipher what some of the options do/mean (perfect example is the "ListNum
field" mentioned above), often times unnecessarily so.

Many thanks!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Start with http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html
and http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/ChapterNumber.htm

MacGyverS2000

Did it solve my problem? Yes, and no...

When I set up the default Headings exactly as described, then create a new
set of Headings that does nothing but copy the default Headings exactly
("Style based on" Heading 1, 2, etc.), it works as designed.

Next, I edited the new set to make one minor change... the "Number format"
for each heading in the list begins with the letter B (same format as the
rest of the document, but this is for Appendix B). The moment I do that,
things go back to the same state as in the original post (i.e., no chapter
headings, so captions fail to display properly).

Word may be extremely powerful, but if you can't use any of that power...

sigh I will start with my previous template and try again...

"MacGyverS2000" wrote:

[...]

MacGyverS2000

I wish I could have edited my last post as the information has changed
slightly...

Upon playing with it further, two issues are evident to me. First, the
"correct" (I'll explain why I use quotes around 'correct' shortly) figure
captioning takes place ONLY when my headings use the default Heading styles,
modified or otherwise. This is contrary to my last post where I suggested it
also worked with any newly created styles that were linked to the default
Headings... I quickly determined after my last post that just wasn't the
case. So, I'm losing something in the process of creating my own style and
simply linking the default Heading style to it.

Second, if I am using the deault Headings directly, I can't seem to get the
entire chapter/subchapter number to appear in the caption. It shows the
chapter number (e.g., "Figure 2.1", "Figure 2.2", etc.), but not the
subchapter the figure resides in (e.g., "Figure 2.6.1", "Figure 2.6.2",
etc.). It was doing this yesterday, so no idea why it's doing something
different today.

Oh, and Suzanne... I've been reading some of the MVP posts on numbering you
linked to.... Microsoft has REALLY made it a scary format, highly prone to
corruption by merely breathing on it. I'm toughing it out, thought

"MacGyverS2000" wrote:

Did it solve my problem? Yes, and no...

When I set up the default Headings exactly as described, then create a new
set of Headings that does nothing but copy the default Headings exactly
("Style based on" Heading 1, 2, etc.), it works as designed.

Next, I edited the new set to make one minor change... the "Number format"
for each heading in the list begins with the letter B (same format as the
rest of the document, but this is for Appendix B). The moment I do that,
things go back to the same state as in the original post (i.e., no chapter
headings, so captions fail to display properly).

Word may be extremely powerful, but if you can't use any of that power...

sigh I will start with my previous template and try again...

Shauna Kelly

Hi MacGyverS2000

There are lots and lots of 'magic' properties of the built-in heading
styles, and some are listed at
Why use Microsoft Word's built-in heading styles?
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/numb...ingStyles.html

If you don't use the built-in heading styles, you lose lots of Word's
functionality.

You also asked about giving your list a name in the 'ListNum field list
name' box. No, you won't necessarily have to refer to that name. It does,
however, tell Word that this numbering scheme has a name, and that's
believed to be more robust than relying on Word to keep track of some
internal numbering system. It also warns you if you make a mistake.
Sometimes, you think you are editing your existing numbering scheme, but
Word thinks you're doing something else. This has become less of a problem
in the most recent versions of Word, but I am always comforted when I see
"my" name in that box, because then I know I'm editing "my" numbering
scheme.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
See http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/numb...ppendixes.html

so
all may benefit.

"MacGyverS2000" wrote:

[...]

How do I insert chapter number with page number in footer? Joan Microsoft Word Help 4 May 9th 05 04:00 PM
Insert of (Figure and Table) caption not picking up chapter number bvuk Microsoft Word Help 2 May 8th 05 03:44 PM
How to make text flow around an image? Jeff New Users 7 April 28th 05 10:42 PM
Problem on SytleRef Rita New Users 5 April 23rd 05 09:16 PM
Caption Numbering and Chapter Heading Frederick Simard Microsoft Word Help 3 March 18th 05 05:53 PM