Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Knight5ter Knight5ter is offline

Default show changes to a doc as revsion number (not save)

I have used the RevNum field to show cahnges to a doc, but it also updates
when a doc is saved but not altered. what i need is a way for any doc that is
altered to show this by means of numbering or lettering (1.1,1.2,1.3 or
A.1,A.2,A.3 and so on) but if a doc is radically changed the rev number must
increase to 2.1, 2.2, or B.1, B.2 and so on only on small changes will it
increase with the same letter plus 1 number.
Does anyone know a way to achieve this.
This is a requirement for ISO9000
many thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Knight5ter wrote:
I have used the RevNum field to show cahnges to a doc, but it also updates
when a doc is saved but not altered. what i need is a way for any doc that is
altered to show this by means of numbering or lettering (1.1,1.2,1.3 or
A.1,A.2,A.3 and so on) but if a doc is radically changed the rev number must
increase to 2.1, 2.2, or B.1, B.2 and so on only on small changes will it
increase with the same letter plus 1 number.

I can't think of an easy way to let Word decide what a "radical change"
is compared to a normal one. So I don't think you can delegate that
decision.

So, whether you do it manually or via some macros, the trigger must come
from the user.

Greetings
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Knight5ter Knight5ter is offline

i can live with updating RevNum with a macro but do you know why the revison
number increases if a user saves the doc without doing any changes and does
not just close the doc. surely this should be a SaveNum command ? Many Thanks

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Knight5ter wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Knight

Knight5ter wrote:
i can live with updating RevNum with a macro but do you know why the revison
number increases if a user saves the doc without doing any changes and does
not just close the doc. surely this should be a SaveNum command ? Many Thanks

No, I don't really "know." But as a guess, even when you do nothing, the
file gets a new "saved at" timestamp. For instance, if you have a
SAVEDATE field in your document, this will then reflect a new date once
the field is explicitly or implicitly updated.

Also, say if you open a document in a view where Word updates all fields
automatically -- this update command is a change for Word (obviously,
since it will want to save changes afterwards).

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Knight5ter Knight5ter is offline

Hi
Many thanks for your help, i will persist in trying to resolve this update
question for my own personal goals.
Thanks again

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi Knight