Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Debbie Debbie is offline

Default Delete the header and footer from just one page in document?

I need to Delete the header and footer from just one page in the middle of
the document. The header and footer are linked to previous pages and I need
to know how to unlink them from the previous page also.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Headers and footers are attributes of Sections, not of pages, with the
exception of the First Page header or footer that a Section can have.

You therefore have a couple of choices:

1. Insert Section Breaks before and after the page in question and unlink
the headers and footers in the section in which that page is located from
the headers and footers in the preceding Section and also the ones in the
following Section from the headers and footers in the Section with the page
and then delete the content of the headers and footers in that Section.

2. If the headers and footers just contain simple text, used an
If...then...Else... field construction that checks the page number and
inserts the header and footer text if other than the page number on which
you do not want it to appear.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Debbie" wrote in message
I need to Delete the header and footer from just one page in the middle of
the document. The header and footer are linked to previous pages and I
need
to know how to unlink them from the previous page also.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
marj marj is offline

This makes no sense. The instructions don't help. Should MS Word just offer
an option on that Menu to check "do not include header on page 1" (because
checking "different first page" does not eliminate the header from the first
page. Then if I delete it from the first page, it disappears from all the
other pages.)

"Debbie" wrote in message
I need to Delete the header and footer from just one page in the middle of
the document. The header and footer are linked to previous pages and I
need
to know how to unlink them from the previous page also.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
marj marj is offline

Okay

I switched it from print view (pages) to normal view (streamed) and was able
to insert the header after the section break and click "this point forward")
and it did not appear on the first page.

But MS should really simplify it by adding a button that simply says "DO NOT
PUT HEADER ON PAGE ONE" or click or unclick something like "Header on first
page," just as they do for numbering pages by letting you opt out of adding a
number to page one by just simply clicking or unclicking "show number on
first page."

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Checking "Different first page" *does* work because it gives you a separate
First Page Header, which you leave blank, putting the text for the remaining
pages in the primary Header, which starts on page 2.

"Debbie" wrote in message
I need to Delete the header and footer from just one page in the middle

of
the document. The header and footer are linked to previous pages and

need
to know how to unlink them from the previous page also.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
marj marj is offline

I am going to give that a test run again, but it did not work the first time.
Right now, it worked when I was in section/normal view and simply clicked
"this page forward" after the page 2 section break.

"Debbie" wrote in message
I need to Delete the header and footer from just one page in the middle

of
the document. The header and footer are linked to previous pages and

need
to know how to unlink them from the previous page also.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Selecting "This page forward" inserts a section break, which introduces
needless complexity.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Checking "Different first page" *does* work because it gives you a

separate
First Page Header, which you leave blank, putting the text for the

remaining
pages in the primary Header, which starts on page 2.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of

my

"Debbie" wrote in message
I need to Delete the header and footer from just one page in the

middle
of
the document. The header and footer are linked to previous pages

and
need
to know how to unlink them from the previous page also.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
marj marj is offline

I must have a different kind of version of Word, because it wasn't complex
once I figured out what it wanted me to do. It worked. However, I did go back
and try the "different first page" thingy in normal view mode and that
(finally) worked also.

I still think the Microsoft people should make it easier, as does
WordPerfect. You simply tell that program 'no header on page one' and it does
just that. Period--don't have to change views (which I prefer to view in
print format-real time-instead of normal), or anything. You simply tell it
what to do and it does it, which is why legal pro's prefer WP.

WPerfect is easier to work with when doing long and complex documents that
have to go to judges and courthouses, mainly because WP was designed to be
heavily used by lawyers. Word is strictly for simple letters and tables, it
doesn't handle legal work or stacked multi-level documents very well at all.

"Debbie" wrote in message
I need to Delete the header and footer from just one page in the

middle
of
the document. The header and footer are linked to previous pages

and
need
to know how to unlink them from the previous page also.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

By "needless complexity" I didn't mean that it would be difficult for you to
do. I meant that it makes the document needlessly complex. Every time you
insert a section break, you give Word (and yourself) more to keep up with.
Moreover, if you have anything on that page that needs to flow to the next
page, or if that page grows, then you'll find that your section has become
two pages and that the text doesn't just flow to your original page 2.

"Debbie" wrote in message
I need to Delete the header and footer from just one page in

the
middle
of
the document. The header and footer are linked to previous

pages
and
need
to know how to unlink them from the previous page also.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
charles charles is offline

Hi Debbie

I have the easiest way to delete a header off first page.
First click on header and footer then select page set up from the header
menu. Once page setup window opens click on the tab "Layout" then select
click the option " Different First Page"

Here you are!!!
Hope it helps

"Debbie" wrote:

I need to Delete the header and footer from just one page in the middle of
the document. The header and footer are linked to previous pages and I need
to know how to unlink them from the previous page also.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Margo Margo is offline

The way it worked best is to insert a continuous section break at the bottom
of the last page with the repeat footer and then again at the bottom of the
last page with the next set of footers. Then view the header footer and it
shows the footer you want to change with a message same as previous on the
top right. Clicking on the link switched that off so it could be unique.

"Debbie" wrote:

I need to Delete the header and footer from just one page in the middle of
the document. The header and footer are linked to previous pages and I need
to know how to unlink them from the previous page also.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chandiran Palanisamy Chandiran Palanisamy is offline

I tried all you have said before...but my issue is whenever I delink a
header, my footer also 'disappears' for subsequent pages.