Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sheila Sheila is offline

Default how to insert both page numbers and footers in the same document

Every time I try to insert both page numbers and a footer in the same
document, one of them disappears. It seems to make no difference which I
insert first
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You need to put the page number _in_ the footer (or header).

What steps are you performing? Which version of Word?

On Jan 19, 5:54*am, Sheila wrote:
Every time I try to insert both page numbers and a footer in the same
document, one of them disappears. It seems to make no difference which I
insert first

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm guessing this is Word 2007 and you are using the Building Block
galleries? Try the following: Add the footer and then double-click the
footer area to activate it. Place the insertion point where you want the
page number. On the Header & Footer Tools Design tab, click Page Number, and
then click Current Position.

An even better approach would be to insert not only the page number but the
entire footer content directly in the footer. See also
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Sheila" wrote in message
Every time I try to insert both page numbers and a footer in the same
document, one of them disappears. It seems to make no difference which I
insert first

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: how to insert both page numbers and footers in the same document

To insert both page numbers and a footer in the same document, follow these steps:
  1. Click on the Insert tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  2. Click on the Page Number drop-down menu and select the location where you want the page numbers to appear (e.g. top of page, bottom of page, etc.).
  3. Once the page numbers have been inserted, click on the Footer drop-down menu and select the type of footer you want to use (e.g. blank, pre-designed, etc.).
  4. Type in the text you want to appear in the footer.
  5. If the footer disappears after you've inserted it, it's possible that the page numbers are covering it up. To fix this, click on the Design tab in the ribbon and select the option for Different First Page. This will allow you to have a different header or footer on the first page of your document, which can help prevent overlap with the page numbers.

That should do it!