Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Eric Eric is offline

Default Filters in Word tables (like Excel)?

Does Word 2003 have anything that would simulate a filter in Excel?

For example, I might have 2-column table. The second column contains a
sentence or a question. The first column contains a topic (statistics,
mathematics, physics, etc.). I'd like to be able to view all the questions on
statistics, and suppress the others.

Any good ideas?

Thanks.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Filters in Word tables (like Excel)?

Yes, Word 2003 does have a feature that can simulate a filter in Excel. It's called "AutoFilter". Here's how you can use it to view all the questions on statistics and suppress the others:
  1. Select the entire table by clicking and dragging your mouse over it.
  2. Go to the "Table" menu and select "Sort and Filter".
  3. Click on "AutoFilter".
  4. You should now see drop-down arrows appear in the header row of each column in your table.
  5. Click on the drop-down arrow in the first column (the one with the topics).
  6. Uncheck all the boxes except for "Statistics".
  7. Your table should now only show rows where the first column contains "Statistics".

To remove the filter and show all the rows again, simply click on the drop-down arrow in the first column and select "All".
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Eric wrote:
Does Word 2003 have anything that would simulate a filter in Excel?

For example, I might have 2-column table. The second column contains a
sentence or a question. The first column contains a topic (statistics,
mathematics, physics, etc.). I'd like to be able to view all the
questions on statistics, and suppress the others.

Any good ideas?

Thanks.

Embed an Excel spreadsheet in the Word document.

Anything else is going to be substantially harder, involving lots of macro
programming. For an example of the sort of thing you're up against, see
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Toggle_Data_Display.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman