Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
pcantele

Default Trying to create custom labels and propagate

I created a letter-sized sheet of custom labels with the following label
size: height=0.8, width=1, and vert. pitch=1.6. This creates a table where I
want to print on the first and every other row. In other words, all even row
cells should remain blank. (Just like when you print some name badges; you
have blank cells.)
When I select my data source, which is an Excel sheet with a list of names,
the labels show up with Next Record in the cells you would expect.
So far, so good.
I can insert my fields as normal in the first cell. When I click the
'Propagate' button ALL the cells get filled up with data and "Next
Record"!!!
How do I fix this? Where did I go wrong?
Regards,
Pete
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
pcantele

Ok, duh! I went ahead and let it propagate, then deleted the data in the
even rows. (The space between the actual labels, that is.) Works like a
charm.
I am still puzzled as to why initially the 'Next Record' tags were in
the right places, then after I setup the first label and pressed 'Propagate
Labels', ALL the cells became populated.
Is there a reason for this? Is there a setting to keep a cell from being
populated?
I thought I had come across some predefined template that had blank rows
that worked, but I can't find it now.

"pcantele" wrote:

I created a letter-sized sheet of custom labels with the following label
size: height=0.8, width=1, and vert. pitch=1.6. This creates a table where I
want to print on the first and every other row. In other words, all even row
cells should remain blank. (Just like when you print some name badges; you
have blank cells.)
When I select my data source, which is an Excel sheet with a list of names,
the labels show up with Next Record in the cells you would expect.
So far, so good.
I can insert my fields as normal in the first cell. When I click the
'Propagate' button ALL the cells get filled up with data and "Next
Record"!!!
How do I fix this? Where did I go wrong?
Regards,
Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

If you create a table where all the cells are the same size (which appears
to be the case from your description - given that you have supplied only
half the parameters) the the merge has no way of knowing that you only want
information in some of the cells. Where you have labels with wide borders eg
Avery 5160, the merge behaves correctly. The way to handle this is to
propagate the labels, then change the document type to form letter and
remove the information from the fields where it isn't required.

pcantele wrote:
I created a letter-sized sheet of custom labels with the following
label size: height=0.8, width=1, and vert. pitch=1.6. This creates a
table where I want to print on the first and every other row. In
other words, all even row cells should remain blank. (Just like when
you print some name badges; you have blank cells.)
When I select my data source, which is an Excel sheet with a list of
names, the labels show up with Next Record in the cells you would
expect.
So far, so good.
I can insert my fields as normal in the first cell. When I click the
'Propagate' button ALL the cells get filled up with data and "Next
Record"!!!
How do I fix this? Where did I go wrong?
Regards,
Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
pcantele

Thanks a bunch, Graham! That works.
I am not sure what you meant by giving only half the parameters; I did
mention the label height as 0.8 and vert. pitch at 1.6. That does indeed
describe the 'printable' and 'non-printable' areas as both 0.8" tall, meaning
they are the same size.
As a trial, I lengthened the printable area and shortened the non-printable
area and, sure enough, the labels propagated just as they are supposed to.
Interesting.
Thanks again for your spot-on help!
Regards,
Pete