Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Hattieruth

Default "expand subdocuments" button is pale

I cannot use the "expand Subdocuments" button on my version of Word 2002. Any
ideas?I want to creat a booklet with Table of Contents and am unable to use
the Help instructions because the buttons they refer to are pale and
unaccessible to me.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Lisa Beach

You might not have the full version of Word installed. You can do a full
install, custom install or basic or minimum install. Based on what you
selected you could be missing some of the functions.

"Hattieruth" wrote in message
news I cannot use the "expand Subdocuments" button on my version of Word 2002.
Any
ideas?I want to creat a booklet with Table of Contents and am unable to use
the Help instructions because the buttons they refer to are pale and
unaccessible to me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Pat Garard

G'Day Hattieruth,

Are you in a Master Document that actually HAS subdocuments?
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Hattieruth" wrote in message
news
I cannot use the "expand Subdocuments" button on my version of Word 2002. Any
ideas?I want to creat a booklet with Table of Contents and am unable to use
the Help instructions because the buttons they refer to are pale and
unaccessible to me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Hattieruth

Thank you for your reply. I thought I had moved the subdocuments into the
Master with Drag & Drop but apparently that didn't work. I finally found the
correct button and now it works. Thanks again.

"Pat Garard" wrote:

G'Day Hattieruth,

Are you in a Master Document that actually HAS subdocuments?
--
Regards,
Pat Garard
Melbourne, Australia
_______________________

"Hattieruth" wrote in message
news
I cannot use the "expand Subdocuments" button on my version of Word 2002. Any
ideas?I want to creat a booklet with Table of Contents and am unable to use
the Help instructions because the buttons they refer to are pale and
unaccessible to me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Charles Kenyon

Sorry, I don't have an answer because I don't use Master Documents. However,
you may need the reason I don't more than you need an answer. "Master
Document" is a term of art in Word referring to a "feature" that not only
doesn't work but also destroys documents. The consensus (with the limited
exception of Steve Hudson) among those offering advice on these newsgroups
is that using the Master Document feature is a good way to destroy your
document. It can destroy parts of your document that you are not even
working on! I think John McGhie said it succinctly when he said that there
are two kinds of Master Documents: Those that are corrupt and those that
will be corrupt soon. See
http://www.addbalance.com/word/masterdocuments.htm for information on the
Master Document feature and workarounds. See
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...ocsCorrupt.htm for more
information on what goes wrong, and
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...MasterDocs.htm for ideas on how
to salvage what you can. See
http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/ma...masterdocs.doc for
Steve Hudson's instructions if you are willing to follow them very
carefully.

--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.
"Hattieruth" wrote in message
news
I cannot use the "expand Subdocuments" button on my version of Word 2002.
Any
ideas?I want to creat a booklet with Table of Contents and am unable to
use
the Help instructions because the buttons they refer to are pale and
unaccessible to me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Hattieruth

Thank you so much for all your information. Now I understand why I screwed
up. I didn't...the program did! Now I will try to see if I can salvage my
original material. Thanks again