Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Rob Whall Rob Whall is offline

Default "Bold" is dithered

Hi guys,
I am really, really frustrated with the new Word. I just had to get that out
there. On this day, at this time, my particular frustration takes the form of
a table in a document I received from another party. The text is bolded in
the table. I don't want it bolded, I want the text to have the normal
typeface. My "bold" button on the ribbon bar or whatever the heck it is is
dithered. I can select from a few pre-defined styles, none of which I want.
How do I unlock the bold button so I can unbold the text?

As an aside, why the heck is this so $%@$%@!! hard? Why did you do that to
us happy Office 2003 users? Why? I hate it. I really, really hate it. Really.

Thank you for your help, please try to create products that don't fight with
users and alienate formerly happy customers in the future.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed Ed is offline

Hi Rob,

One possibility from the symptoms you describe is that the document is
protected.

Click the Developer tab and, in the Protect group, click Protect Document.

In the menu that appears, click "Restrict Formatting and Editing".

In the "Restrict Formatting and Editing" task pane, check whether there is a
"Stop Protection" button near the bottom. If there is, click it.

You might be asked for a password if the other party used one when
protecting the document.

Click the task pane's "x" to close it.

I am really, really frustrated with the new Word.

You might find the following Microsoft add-in useful to ease the transition:
Word 2007 Add-in: Get Started Tab for Word 2007 --
Brief Description (from MS website)
"This add-in adds a Get Started tab to the Microsoft Office Word 2007
Ribbon. Commands on this tab give you easy access to free content on Office
Online that helps you learn Word 2007 quickly."

There's also an Excel workbook which enables you to find the 2007 equivalent
of a 2003 command:

Word Ribbon mapping workbook --

http://office.microsoft.com/search/r...1 00625841033

And finally, if you continue to hate the interface, there's Patrick Schmid's
Ribbon Customizer:

http://ribboncustomizer.com

Regards.

Ed
"Rob Whall" wrote:

Hi guys,
I am really, really frustrated with the new Word. I just had to get that out
there. On this day, at this time, my particular frustration takes the form of
a table in a document I received from another party. The text is bolded in
the table. I don't want it bolded, I want the text to have the normal
typeface. My "bold" button on the ribbon bar or whatever the heck it is is
dithered. I can select from a few pre-defined styles, none of which I want.
How do I unlock the bold button so I can unbold the text?

As an aside, why the heck is this so $%@$%@!! hard? Why did you do that to
us happy Office 2003 users? Why? I hate it. I really, really hate it. Really.

Thank you for your help, please try to create products that don't fight with
users and alienate formerly happy customers in the future.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Rob Whall Rob Whall is offline

Ed,
Fantastic! Thank you so much. I don't hate the interface so much, just the
fact that the document was locked with no tips or hints as to how to unlock
it. You've put me on the right track, and I really appreciate it.

Rob