HowardTheTek

Default Drop-Downs For Save As & File Open Are VERY S-L-O-W

Office 2003 is installed on Pent-4 3GHz w/ 1GB RAM.

Whenever I use the File Open or Save As dialog, the drop-down list for selecting the target location operates at a painfully slow rate. When I click the drop-down arrow-head or when I dbl-clk a directory it can take up to 60 seconds for the display to perform the operation.

This is happening on only one of my several PCs.

This only happens in MSFT Office apps. All of the other apps do not have this pregnant pause. Navigating within Windows Explorer appears to respond timely.

When deleting an icon on the desktop, there sometimes is a 5-to-10 second delay before the confirmation box is displayed.

That's about all of the anomalies I can think of that might be related.

Is there any hope for me (and my PC, too)?

Thanks for the assist.

Tom Ferguson

Check to see what printer is selected as default and make sure it is
always available to the affected computer. Also, make sure that any
mapped networked drives are available if those drives are used for
opening or saving documents.

Let us know.

Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User

"HowardTheTek" wrote in message
[...]

Tom Ferguson

Always glad to help. No, not the same guy. What I don't know about Novell
software fills several thick volumes. :-))

--

Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User

"HowardTheTek" wrote in message
WOW! You must eat & sleep in this forum After I posted this msg, I
walked the dog. By the time I got back, BAM! there you were - == and
with the solution. Whata Guy!

I had a drive X: mapped to the memory card slot of an HP
All-in-One-Crapola. The software and printer driver were uninstalled
months ago because it caused delays all over the place. But the uninstall
never removed the permanently mapped drive X: After removing it, my
normal(?) response is back.

Thanks so much for your vigil.

Regards.

P.S.
Are you the same Tom Ferguson supporting some Novell forums?

=============================
Tom 10/15/05 07:59AM

[...]

HowardTheTek

Follow-Up
========

The mapped drive came back by itself. But with the printer turned on, the problem goes away. Turn the printer off and the delays are back. But at least I now have the solution.

Why should this ONLY effect the Office products and none others?

Tom Ferguson

Word and certain Office applications lay out the document according to
the abilities of the default printer (unprintable regions &c differ with
different printer models) so attempts to check the printer driver to
determine some parameters.

--

Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User

"HowardTheTek" wrote in message
Follow-Up
========

The mapped drive came back by itself. But with the printer turned on, the
problem goes away. Turn the printer off and the delays are back. But at
least I now have the solution.

Why should this ONLY effect the Office products and none others?

Follow-Up
========

The mapped drive came back by itself. But with the printer turned on, the
problem goes away. Turn the printer off and the delays are back. But at
least I now have the solution.

Why should this ONLY effect the Office products and none others?

HowardTheTek

Just a quick note to thank you for your support efforts & to express my appreciation for sharing
your knowledge with us less-fortunates.

Regards.
Tom 10/15/05 07:31PM