Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tarallen Tarallen is offline

Default Updating Styles

Hello,

I am creating a style (S2) by selecting an existing style (S1) that I don't
want to use any more, then right-clicking the S2 style name and selecting
'Update to Match Selection.' However, when I do this, it bases the S2 on S1.
But I want to get rid of S1. Do I have to create this style from scratch? I
wanted to avoid that because it has so many complexities in the setup.

Thanks,
Tara
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Why not just rename "S1" to "S2"? You can use the Organizer for this
(Tools | Templates and Add-Ins, click the Organizer button). Then make
the changes you want for "S2."

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Tarallen" wrote in message
Hello,

I am creating a style (S2) by selecting an existing style (S1) that

I don't
want to use any more, then right-clicking the S2 style name and

selecting
'Update to Match Selection.' However, when I do this, it bases the

S2 on S1.
But I want to get rid of S1. Do I have to create this style from

scratch? I
wanted to avoid that because it has so many complexities in the

setup.

Thanks,
Tara

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tarallen Tarallen is offline

I tried that but S2 is an alias of a built-in style so it won't let me name
anything else the same thing because the name is reserved for a built-in
style.

"Tarallen" wrote in message
Hello,

I am creating a style (S2) by selecting an existing style (S1) that

I don't
want to use any more, then right-clicking the S2 style name and

selecting
'Update to Match Selection.' However, when I do this, it bases the

S2 on S1.
But I want to get rid of S1. Do I have to create this style from

scratch? I
wanted to avoid that because it has so many complexities in the

setup.

Thanks,
Tara

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Well, if S2 exists as an alias, you cannot create a style by that
name (using any method). You'll have to get rid of the alias first. To
do this, open the Modify Style dialog box (see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...fyAStyle.html). In the
"Name" box, delete all aliases (listed after the original style
name). Click OK. Then you can rename the S1 style as I suggested in my

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Tarallen" wrote in message
Hello,

I am creating a style (S2) by selecting an existing style (S1)

that
I don't
want to use any more, then right-clicking the S2 style name and

selecting
'Update to Match Selection.' However, when I do this, it bases

the
S2 on S1.
But I want to get rid of S1. Do I have to create this style from

scratch? I
wanted to avoid that because it has so many complexities in the

setup.

Thanks,
Tara

Stop updating styles automatically JethroUK© Microsoft Word Help 4 August 18th 06 05:30 PM
Updating styles ab New Users 4 May 11th 06 12:20 PM
Style lists in the Styles and Formatting task pane Adrian Formatting Long Documents 5 March 3rd 06 08:36 PM
Custom Styles Questions Kim Microsoft Word Help 1 February 10th 06 10:09 PM
stop word from updating defined styles lots of questions Microsoft Word Help 4 February 1st 06 01:14 AM