V-ger

Default Normal.dot template opening on exit

Everytime Word (2K3 on XP) is exited/closed, the normal.dot template is
opened and then closes itself. This takes a long moment and is very annoying
to the client. They have a few programs installed that integrate with Word,
and whose templates are listed in the Tools/Templates and Add-Ins list, but
none of them are new. This just started happening yesterday. (Time Slips,
Avery Wizard, Time Matters, You Perform toolbar - google related?, and a
couple of others). I also noticed when I went into Tools/Templates and
Add-Ins/Organizer/Toolbars, the "You Perform Toolbar" was listed in the
Normal.dot which I have always seen as blank. Any thoughts? I really
appreciate ANY help. Thank you.
V-ger
Graham Mayor

Normal.dot shouldn't open at all - as you have no doubt guessed. I suspect
that you have another copy of normal.dot in the add-in path.
Some of the add-ins are probably suspect also. The Avery wizard I think was
intended for Word 97 and has probably not been updated since. In any case it
doesn't do anything that Word cannot do without it.

I would suggest removing all the add-ins temporarily and then work your way
through http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

Then with Word closed, check for orphan files -
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm

Finally replace the add-ins one at a time and test for the problem after
each.

V-ger wrote:
Everytime Word (2K3 on XP) is exited/closed, the normal.dot template
is opened and then closes itself. This takes a long moment and is
very annoying to the client. They have a few programs installed that
integrate with Word, and whose templates are listed in the
Tools/Templates and Add-Ins list, but none of them are new. This
just started happening yesterday. (Time Slips, Avery Wizard, Time
Matters, You Perform toolbar - google related?, and a couple of
others). I also noticed when I went into Tools/Templates and
Add-Ins/Organizer/Toolbars, the "You Perform Toolbar" was listed in
the Normal.dot which I have always seen as blank. Any thoughts? I
really appreciate ANY help. Thank you.
V-ger

V-ger

Graham, I realize I never got back to you re the 12/2/04 problem. Thank you
for helping me out. It turned out that a third-party program was downloading
a COM Add-in that was causing this problem. I don't remember the name of the
program, but I remember it was from a legitimate source. Anyway, once the
COM Add-in was deleted it worked fine. Everytime the computer was re-booted,
it was put back so the owner just uninstalled the entire program (not that
important anyway) and now all is well. Thank you so much for all your help.
Take care!
V-ger

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

No gain without some pain

V-ger wrote:
Everytime Word (2K3 on XP) is exited/closed, the normal.dot template
is opened and then closes itself. This takes a long moment and is
very annoying to the client. They have a few programs installed
that integrate with Word, and whose templates are listed in the
Tools/Templates and Add-Ins list, but none of them are new. This
just started happening yesterday. (Time Slips, Avery Wizard, Time
Matters, You Perform toolbar - google related?, and a couple of
others). I also noticed when I went into Tools/Templates and
Add-Ins/Organizer/Toolbars, the "You Perform Toolbar" was listed in
the Normal.dot which I have always seen as blank. Any thoughts? I
really appreciate ANY help. Thank you.
V-ger

Graham Mayor

Glad you got it sorted - the software manufacturer in question may have an
updated add-in by now?

V-ger wrote:
Graham, I realize I never got back to you re the 12/2/04 problem.
Thank you for helping me out. It turned out that a third-party
program was downloading a COM Add-in that was causing this problem.
I don't remember the name of the program, but I remember it was from
a legitimate source. Anyway, once the COM Add-in was deleted it
worked fine. Everytime the computer was re-booted, it was put back so
the owner just uninstalled the entire program (not that important
anyway) and now all is well. Thank you so much for all your help.
Take care!
V-ger

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

No gain without some pain