il_papa

Default Inserting HTML files in Word 2000

Hi all

I am trying to link HTML files (approx 100) which contain both text and
tables into a Word 2000 document, the idea being that I can update the links
in the word document and receive the most up-to-date HTML files.

The HTML files are displayed correctly in the browser but something peculiar
happens to the table part of the files when they are inserted in a word
document. Word 2000 automatically allocates a style called Normal (Web) to
the inserted HMTL files and the page layout and font of the table are
overwritten. The rest of the formatting is ok even though it is given the
same style name.

Any ideas?

lostinspace

I am trying to link HTML files (approx 100) which contain both text and
tables into a Word 2000 document, the idea being that I can update the
links
in the word document and receive the most up-to-date HTML files.

The HTML files are displayed correctly in the browser but something
peculiar
happens to the table part of the files when they are inserted in a word
document. Word 2000 automatically allocates a style called Normal (Web) to
the inserted HMTL files and the page layout and font of the table are
overwritten. The rest of the formatting is ok even though it is given the
same style name.

Any ideas?

There are many possibilities.
You have not stated the source of the html files that you are using?
Did you create the html pages yourself?
Or have you copied them from a website?

If the later, have you viewed the source html and seen what methods are
being used to display the tables?
Perhaps its webpage CSS [ http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp ] (not
Word CSS) or even Java?

CSS in webpages defines its own fonts and if your not importing those fonts
and sheets into the Word Doc than Word will apply its own fonts.

One option might be in converting the imported table to an image and
inserting that image in your DOC.

il_papa

Well, im an idiot. I solved the problem. 'Normal (Web) is based on Word's
Normal style. I simply changed the Normal Style and it worked.

lostinspace

"Well, im an idiot. I solved the problem. 'Normal (Web) is based on Word's
Normal style. I simply changed the Normal Style and it worked."

I'm surely a bigger idiot than you :-))

As I would NEVER consider using Word to display html.