Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Liz Liz is offline

Default Labels with two names from EXCEL spreadsheet one name appears at t

I have created WORD mail merge labels from an EXCEL spreadsheet where I am
using 2 names (2 first and 2 last names). I figured out how to do that using
the spouse option in mail merge but in some cases both names appear (John
Smith and Jane Doe) and in some cases only one name appears (even though I
have two names in EXCEL). There are no extra spaces or characters in the
EXCEL cells and I deleted and retyped the names. Can anyone help me figure
out why only one name appears in mail merge with two names identified in
EXCEL?

Thanks, Liz
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Assuming you are using ADDRESSBLOCK and/or GREETINGLINE fields,
a. I suggest you try using individual fields instead - see Graham Mayor's
page at

(it isn't just concerned with labels)
b. if want to keep trying ADDRESSBLOCK/GREETINGLINE,
- which version of Word/Excel?
- what are the relevant field names in Excel?
- if you insert those fields using individual MERGEFIELD fields, do you
see the results you would expect?
- are you using ADDRESSBLOCK, GREETINGLINE, or both?
- what field mappings have you defined?
- can you use Alt-F9 to show the ADDRESSBLOCK/GREETINGLINE code and post
it here, .e.g the ADDRESSBLOCK code in front of me is

ADDRESSBLOCK \f "_NICK0_ and _FIRST1_
_COMPANY_,
_STREET1_
_STREET2_
_CITY_
_STATE_
_POSTAL_

_COUNTRY_" \l 2057 \c 2 \e "United Kingdom" \d

Peter Jamieson

"Liz" wrote in message
I have created WORD mail merge labels from an EXCEL spreadsheet where I am
using 2 names (2 first and 2 last names). I figured out how to do that
using
the spouse option in mail merge but in some cases both names appear (John
Smith and Jane Doe) and in some cases only one name appears (even though I
have two names in EXCEL). There are no extra spaces or characters in the
EXCEL cells and I deleted and retyped the names. Can anyone help me
figure
out why only one name appears in mail merge with two names identified in
EXCEL?

Thanks, Liz

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Liz Liz is offline

Default Labels with two names from EXCEL spreadsheet one name appears

Thanks for the information Peter. I am using both Word and EXCEL 2003. In
the interim, I was showing someone at my job the problem and it turns out
that in the address block section of the label portion of mailmerge when I
uncheck "format address according to the destination country/region box", the
two names appear. It appeared that the one name problem was only associated
with countries other than the United States. My omission for not being more
specific in asking for help.

Thanks again for your assistance,
Liz