Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Coco Coco is offline

Default Combine columns fr: Excel - Link to labels in Word

I want to print shelf labels for my store using information from data that is
in separate columns in Excel. Just like common labels you see in stores,
some data on the label may be larger and some may be bold, a different font,
etc.

How do I link data fr: Excel to Word and format ea. column differently and
have it appear on the same "label". Perhaps there is a better way than using
a labels template for this since I don't have to use self adhesive or
prescored labels. Finally, how do I tell Excel to only send information that
had price changes so that I'm not printing hundreds of "labels" when I only
need those that have changed?

Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

This sounds like a fairly straightforward label merge -
apart from the part about the price changes. How is the merge (or Excel)
supposed to know which prices have changed? The best plan is to extract from
your data the records that have changed prices and merge that data.

Coco wrote:
I want to print shelf labels for my store using information from data
that is in separate columns in Excel. Just like common labels you
see in stores, some data on the label may be larger and some may be
bold, a different font, etc.

How do I link data fr: Excel to Word and format ea. column
differently and have it appear on the same "label". Perhaps there is
a better way than using a labels template for this since I don't
have to use self adhesive or prescored labels. Finally, how do I
tell Excel to only send information that had price changes so that
I'm not printing hundreds of "labels" when I only need those that
have changed?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Coco Coco is offline

Graham - Thank you for your time and information.

I've hit an impasse in my mail merge at "confirm data source". I've chosen
MS Excel Worksheets via DDE*xls, and my only option is to choose the entire
spreadsheet, which I do, but then my recipient list comes up with the the
name of my file and where it is on my computer several times in the list,
i.e., C:\Documents and Settings...., What am I doing wrong?
Thank you.

Coco wrote:
I want to print shelf labels for my store using information from data
that is in separate columns in Excel. Just like common labels you
see in stores, some data on the label may be larger and some may be
bold, a different font, etc.

How do I link data fr: Excel to Word and format ea. column
differently and have it appear on the same "label". Perhaps there is
a better way than using a labels template for this since I don't
have to use self adhesive or prescored labels. Finally, how do I
tell Excel to only send information that had price changes so that
I'm not printing hundreds of "labels" when I only need those that
have changed?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Without knowing how your data is laid out in the spreadsheet it is
impossible to guess.
For this to work you need a table that looks like the one at the end of
http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm
ie with a title row and a row for each record.