Default Laserjet 4 and MS Word prints only from main tray. Can't print from MP tray.

I have a networked Laserjet 4 with Postscript SIMM.

It has been working fine on two workstations, a Windows 98 machine and
an XP Home machine. It still works fine UNLESS we are printing from
Microsoft Word 97.

Lately, Word 97 for some reason can only print from the paper tray.
Neither workstation can use the multipurpose tray from Word. Every
other application seems to work fine and able to select trays as
required with no problem, it is ONLY Word 97. I just printed on the XP
machine from notepad to the MP tray. Worked as expected.

This just started a few days ago.

I reset the printer, rebooted all the machines on the network.
No difference.

I looked at the printer settings and the MP tray was set for LOCK.
AHA!. I thought I was onto something. I set LOCK to NONE. No
difference from Word 97.

I replaced the NORMAL.DOT on the XP machine with one saved last March.
No change.

I tried several different drivers, the postscript and the non
postscript Laserjet 4 driver. No change.

I read some stuff online, I found a few references to this problem
with Laserjet 4s. One post said it was seemingly ALWAYS Laserjet 4s.

Does anyone have any ideas? I need to resolve this.

I used a LaserJet 4 with Word 97 and never had this problem. I had my MP
tray set to FIRST (with this setting, the printer draws from the MP tray if
there is paper in it, otherwise from the cassette). Unfortunately, it only
seemed to print Letter and custom sizes. To print legal, I had to change it
to CASSETTE, for which the paper size was set to LEGAL.

" wrote in message
[...]

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:29:48 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

I used a LaserJet 4 with Word 97 and never had this problem. I had my MP
tray set to FIRST (with this setting, the printer draws from the MP tray if
there is paper in it, otherwise from the cassette). Unfortunately, it only
seemed to print Letter and custom sizes. To print legal, I had to change it
to CASSETTE, for which the paper size was set to LEGAL.

I don'g want to do that, I have labels or letterheads that are put in
the MP tray. Naturally we only want to use that tray for appropriate
documents. In a shared environment using a tray set to FIRST would be
inappropriate. This is a tray selection error.

I need to find out why this is happening.

Does anyone have any ideas?

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 14:34:28 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

If you have a document's paper source defined as "Manual feed," does it draw
from the MP tray?

I just tried that. No, it used the main tray.

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 18:46:35 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

Hmm. Clearly a serious problem. I wish I could help more. Try posting in the
microsoft.public.word.printingfonts NG.

I just did.

I have to wonder whom at Microsoft made a decision to support usenet
and created 128,000 newsgroups.

It's fairly difficult to figure out which Microsoft newsgroup is
appropriate. Heh. Clearly not a usenet user.