Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Rusher Rusher is offline

Default I need more than 4 columns.

I have a 11x17, landscape page, and I need 6 columns...Apparently, I'm only
allowed 4???
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

OK, pay attention coz's this is *really tricky*.

1. Display the 'Format Columns' dialog. (Can you manage that one on your
own?)

2. Look at it for a while, until you see the 'Number of columns' field.

3. Enter the '6' in that field. (You'll find the 6 on your keyboard between
the 5 and 7 keys.)

"Rusher" wrote in message
I have a 11x17, landscape page, and I need 6 columns...Apparently, I'm only
allowed 4???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Rae Drysdale Rae Drysdale is offline

Format | Columns and you can decide the number of columns there. There is no
problem getting 6.
--
Rae Drysdale

"Rusher" wrote:

I have a 11x17, landscape page, and I need 6 columns...Apparently, I'm only
allowed 4???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

To define the notion of superfluity, it is necessary to resort to
the
definition of a norm, and to see it as an excess
which goes beyond a given necessity. Although this
approach may seem restrictive, it nevertheless
opens vast fields of reflexion, given the overflow of meaning
it triggers."BruceM" wrote in message
Was that really necessary?

"Rusher" wrote in message
I have a 11x17, landscape page, and I need 6 columns...Apparently, I'm
only
allowed 4???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I have to give Jezebel credit for at least understanding what you were
talking about; I thought you were referring to table columns! But it would
probably have suffice to point out that the Columns dialog provides more
options than the Columns button on the Formatting toolbar.

In addition, in some versions of Word, formatting multiple columns using the
Columns button doesn't cause Word to check the "Equal column width" box in
the Columns dialog, and this can cause problems when you change page size or
orientation or even result in one column being the full margin width, with
no room allowed for the other(s), with the result that text just disappears
at the end of the first column!

"BruceM" wrote in message
Was that really necessary?

"Rusher" wrote in message
I have a 11x17, landscape page, and I need 6 columns...Apparently, I'm
only
allowed 4???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
BruceM BruceM is offline

Just for the record, I didn't ask the original question. My comment was
about the belittling tone of the reply. I hang around in this group to see
if I can learn a few new things about Word 2003, but I don't pay close
attention, so maybe there's a history with the OP of which I am unaware. If
so, maybe that history prompted the put-downs, but on the face of it they
were gratuitous.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I have to give Jezebel credit for at least understanding what you were
talking about; I thought you were referring to table columns! But it would
probably have suffice to point out that the Columns dialog provides more
options than the Columns button on the Formatting toolbar.

In addition, in some versions of Word, formatting multiple columns using
the
Columns button doesn't cause Word to check the "Equal column width" box in
the Columns dialog, and this can cause problems when you change page size
or
orientation or even result in one column being the full margin width, with
no room allowed for the other(s), with the result that text just
disappears
at the end of the first column!

so
all may benefit.

"BruceM" wrote in message
Was that really necessary?

"Rusher" wrote in message
I have a 11x17, landscape page, and I need 6 columns...Apparently, I'm
only
allowed 4???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
BruceM BruceM is offline

So what are you saying, that the norm is a command of the program equal to
your own, and anything else is superfluous and therefore a target for your
derision?

By the way, it's either "...an excess, which goes beyond a given necessity"
or "an excess that goes beyond a given necessity" unless usage has changed
since I actively studied such matters.

"Rusher" wrote in message
I have a 11x17, landscape page, and I need 6 columns...Apparently, I'm
only
allowed 4???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

You were at the conference on Le Superflu at the Faculté des Lettres
Victor-Segalen, Brest?

Or just humourless and as silly as the original poster?

"Rusher" wrote in message
I have a 11x17, landscape page, and I need 6 columns...Apparently, I'm
only
allowed 4???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
BruceM BruceM is offline

a) The OP asked a legitimate question to which you replied condescendingly.
Perhaps it was intended as humor, but I have a hard time believing it was
taken that way.

b) There has been quite a disconnect between what I have written to you and
your replies. Perhaps you intend to smother me under a load of obfuscation.
This exchange has been entertaining, but I can't see any point to continuing
it.

"Rusher" wrote in message
I have a 11x17, landscape page, and I need 6 columns...Apparently, I'm
only
allowed 4???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Rusher Rusher is offline

I don't appreciate your email. My problem wasn't how to get 4 columns to
begin with, it's after I've created a 4 column newsletter and I want to add
more...You're a real ass.

"Rusher" wrote in message
I have a 11x17, landscape page, and I need 6 columns...Apparently, I'm only
allowed 4???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Rusher Rusher is offline

Hi BruceM...I've been a Word user for years and before that WordPerfect. My
question (which I didn't write clearly) wasn't I how to get 4 columns to
begin with - it was how to get more than 4 columns after I've already created
them. Seemingly, I could only add columns to the front of the piece, when I
wanted to carry on from where I left off. I didn't expect the article to
continue onto more than 4 columns.

Thank you for your support.

"BruceM" wrote:

[...]

"BruceM" wrote in message
Was that really necessary?

"Rusher" wrote in message
I have a 11x17, landscape page, and I need 6 columns...Apparently, I'm
only
allowed 4???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Your question becomes more and more confusing, I'm afraid. When you choose
the number of columns, you're choosing it either for the whole document or
for a section or selected text. If you apply column formatting to selected
text, Word will take care of inserting the necessary Continuous section
breaks. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/UsingColumns.htm.

If you are typing in a four-column document and fill the fourth column, Word
will continue in the first column of the next page. Changing the number of
columns won't allow you to get more text on the first page because the
columns will be narrower (in fact, given the space between columns, you'll
probably get less text on a page with more columns).

"BruceM" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.