Ferra

Default How can I install language packs on MS XP Home Edition?

I have tried downloading the East language Packs for MS Office XP however it
says "you do not have Office XP, installation can not be completed". This is
true; I have Home Edition (I wish I didn't, but that's besides the point). I
then tried installing the "If you don't have Office XP click here" language
packs but those also said they were incompatible. Since those are my only
options on the Microsoft downloads page, I'm at a loss. I'm taking Japanese
next year in college so I need to be able to type in word, or at the very
least view Japanese characters. If anyone can help me, I'd appreciate it.
garfield-n-odie

In Microsoft Windows XP:
1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Click Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options.
3. Click Add other languages, and then click the Languages tab.
4. In the Text services and input languages section, click Details.
5. If the language that you want to use is not listed or if the language
that you want is listed but the keyboard is not listed under it, click Add in
the Installed Services section.
6. In the Input Language list, select the language that you want to use.
This automatically fills in the Keyboard layout/IME field for you.
7. Click OK.

The selected language and installed keyboard should be listed in the
Installed Services section.
8. Click OK to close the Text Services and Input Languages dialog box.
9. Click OK to close the Regional and Language Options dialog box.

"Ferra" wrote:

I have tried downloading the East language Packs for MS Office XP however it
says "you do not have Office XP, installation can not be completed". This is
true; I have Home Edition (I wish I didn't, but that's besides the point). I
then tried installing the "If you don't have Office XP click here" language
packs but those also said they were incompatible. Since those are my only
options on the Microsoft downloads page, I'm at a loss. I'm taking Japanese
next year in college so I need to be able to type in word, or at the very
least view Japanese characters. If anyone can help me, I'd appreciate it.

Terry

"garfield-n-odie" wrote:

In Microsoft Windows XP:
1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Click Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options.
3. Click Add other languages, and then click the Languages tab.
4. In the Text services and input languages section, click Details.
5. If the language that you want to use is not listed or if the language

that you want is listed but the keyboard is not listed under it, click Add in
the Installed Services section.
6. In the Input Language list, select the language that you want to use.

This automatically fills in the Keyboard layout/IME field for you.
7. Click OK.

The selected language and installed keyboard should be listed in the
Installed Services section.
8. Click OK to close the Text Services and Input Languages dialog box.
9. Click OK to close the Regional and Language Options dialog box.

I only get as far as step # 5...Japanese (and other East-Asian Languages)
are not listed in the Input Language List. I have Windows XP Home and no
installation disk (came installed on my computer).
garfield-n-odie

Terry: Please explain how your comment helps to answer the
question originally posted by Ferra. It is bad form to hijack
someone else's question for your own purposes. In the future,
please start a new thread of your own, instead of replying to
someone else's, unless you have a suggestion to offer the other
person. As for your question, try clicking on Start | Control
Panel | Regional and Language Options | Languages tab | check the
"Install files for East Asian languages" box | OK. I did not
need my Windows XP CD to do this (ymmv). Then try step #5 again.

Terry wrote:

I only get as far as step # 5...Japanese (and other East-Asian Languages)
are not listed in the Input Language List. I have Windows XP Home and no
installation disk (came installed on my computer).

how to install other language in the Dictionary box? vitoria47 Microsoft Word Help 2 July 18th 05 06:57 PM
Translating German to English KK New Users 2 July 3rd 05 06:24 PM
how do I install a differnet language dictionary for Word? Mr. Moosedude Microsoft Word Help 1 June 25th 05 01:29 PM
Language Packs Jon Microsoft Word Help 1 January 18th 05 10:06 AM
how to install office language check for spanish (Microsoft XP) sugar Microsoft Word Help 1 January 11th 05 04:24 AM