Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
charles thiesen charles thiesen is offline

Default Page numbering problem

I have a large Word document divided into three sections. Chapter numbering
is consecutive throughout and page numbers reflect chapter numbers (1-1, 1-
2, etc.).

My problem is that the Header for each section - "I. Section One" for
example - sits above the chapter number on that page. The table of contents
apparently does not read the page number from the footer, but generates it
from the most recent chapter head. This means that in the TOC "II. Section
Two" which is on the same page as "9. Chapter Nine" does not show page 9-1,
but rather 8-1 referring to the previous chapter head.

Needless to say, this is frustrating. Is there a way to fix it?

thanks in advance,
- charles thiesen
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

For help on setting up chapter/page numbering properly, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/ChapterNumber.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

charles skrev i meddelandet
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
charles charles is offline

"Stefan Blom" wrote in news:#zYUgQviHHA.4904
@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl:

http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/ChapterNumber.htm.

Thanks for the quick reply, but it misses the point. I did everything
exactly as that document suggests and still have the problem.

I successfully get page numbering by chapter in the footer. The chapter
shows the correct page number in the TOC. BUT the section header, which
sits above the chapter header reflects the previous chapter in the TOC.
Section II, which begins with Chapter 9, shows a page number of 8-1 in the
TOC, even though it is on the same page as the Chapter 9 header, page 9-1.

Is there no fix for this?

thanks,
- charles
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I believe I understand why you are getting that result, but I doubt that
there is any way to get Word to give you what you want. I think that you
will have to select the table of contents and then use Ctrl+Shift+F9 to
unlink it and then manually change the 8-1 to 9-1. You should do that on a
copy of the document after saving it.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

charles wrote in message ...
"Stefan Blom" wrote in news:#zYUgQviHHA.4904
@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl:

http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/ChapterNumber.htm.

Thanks for the quick reply, but it misses the point. I did everything
exactly as that document suggests and still have the problem.

I successfully get page numbering by chapter in the footer. The chapter
shows the correct page number in the TOC. BUT the section header, which
sits above the chapter header reflects the previous chapter in the TOC.
Section II, which begins with Chapter 9, shows a page number of 8-1 in the
TOC, even though it is on the same page as the Chapter 9 header, page 9-1.

Is there no fix for this?

thanks,
- charles

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
charles charles is offline

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote in
:

I believe I understand why you are getting that result, but I doubt
that there is any way to get Word to give you what you want. I think
that you will have to select the table of contents and then use
Ctrl+Shift+F9 to unlink it and then manually change the 8-1 to 9-1.
You should do that on a copy of the document after saving it.

I've been doing something similar--editing the page number in the TOC--but
I didn't know about unlinking, so that's useful information. Not the most
elegant solution, but it'll work.

thanks,
- charles

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Henk57[_12_] Henk57[_12_] is offline

Dear Charles:
I am not sure I understand your problem. Do you want to show the
Section start page number in yr TOC? Or do the Chapter numbers appear
to be incorrectly reflected in the page numbers (eg Chapter 9 shows
8-1, etc)?

If it is the first, maybe you could use a dummy heading (one of the
unused levels, assuming there is one) formatted as white text (so
invisible in yr document if you dont want to show it there).
If it is the first, I dont know how to solve it. It might be that you
use the wrong type of section break?

br, Henk

-
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/ChapterNumber.htm.-

Thanks for the quick reply, but it misses the point. I did everything
exactly as that document suggests and still have the problem.

I successfully get page numbering by chapter in the footer. The chapter

shows the correct page number in the TOC. BUT the section header, which

sits above the chapter header reflects the previous chapter in the TOC.

Section II, which begins with Chapter 9, shows a page number of 8-1 in
the
TOC, even though it is on the same page as the Chapter 9 header, page
9-1.

Is there no fix for this?

thanks,
- charles

--
Henk57
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

No, the issue is that the part title appears before the chapter title, so it
doesn't get the correct page number (which is derived from the chapter
number). This is logical (the part title really is in the previous chapter)
but inconvenient. And it would be helpful if Word would recognize that a
given page can have only a single number.

charles;2120501 Wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
charles charles is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in
:

No, the issue is that the part title appears before the chapter title,
so it doesn't get the correct page number (which is derived from the
chapter number). This is logical (the part title really is in the
previous chapter) but inconvenient. And it would be helpful if Word
would recognize that a given page can have only a single number.

That's it exactly. Unfortunately it sounds like the only "solution" is for
me to edit the page numbers every time I change the document.

Thanks for the help
- charles