Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gcs gcs is offline

Default Lock track changes and balloon view on document for collaboration

We are trying to track changes on over 100 documents for a local school in
Word 2007. We are able to set up the document, turn on TRACK CHANGES,
BALLOONS and set the view to ORIGINAL SHOWING MARKUP. This gives us the look
and tracking we are looking for...... BUT!

As soon as we save the document, and then re-open it the ORIGINAL SHOWING
MARKUP option is changed back to the FINAL SHOWING MARKUP view and the list
of changes in the balloons is gone.

We can re-enable the view manually, but the purpose is to set the document
up so that when the end users open it, the document view is already set to
show the change balloons on the side of the document. Any help is GREATLY
appreciated!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gcs gcs is offline

Just a follow up.....

If you turn on tracking, and then DELETE an item on the document before
doing anything else, the DELETE option balloon will force the changes to
always show up when re-opening the document.

"GCS" wrote:

We are trying to track changes on over 100 documents for a local school in
Word 2007. We are able to set up the document, turn on TRACK CHANGES,
BALLOONS and set the view to ORIGINAL SHOWING MARKUP. This gives us the look
and tracking we are looking for...... BUT!

As soon as we save the document, and then re-open it the ORIGINAL SHOWING
MARKUP option is changed back to the FINAL SHOWING MARKUP view and the list
of changes in the balloons is gone.

We can re-enable the view manually, but the purpose is to set the document
up so that when the end users open it, the document view is already set to
show the change balloons on the side of the document. Any help is GREATLY
appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Most people complain that even though they saved their document with
the changes not showing, it opens up with the changes showing! (The
default is Final Showing Markup -- I wonder whether you can change
that to Original Showing Markup.)

In the Track Changes section of the Reviewing tab, first click the
Balloons button. It sounds like you want the first choice, "Show
revisions in balloons." (If _no_ changes are showing, then various
settings under the Track Changes button, row 2 "Options," may have
been changed to "Never.")

On Mar 5, 11:20*am, GCS wrote:
We are trying to track changes on over 100 documents for a local school in
Word 2007. *We are able to set up the document, turn on TRACK CHANGES,
BALLOONS and set the view to ORIGINAL SHOWING MARKUP. *This gives us the look
and tracking we are looking for...... BUT!

As soon as we save the document, and then re-open it the ORIGINAL SHOWING
MARKUP option is changed back to the FINAL SHOWING MARKUP view and the list
of changes in the balloons is gone.

We can re-enable the view manually, but the purpose is to set the document
up so that when the end users open it, the document view is *already set to
show the change balloons on the side of the document. *Any help is GREATLY
appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Lock track changes and balloon view on document for collaborat

Ask in the VBA group. Sounds like you need an auto open macro. The
questions is whether VBA can address this. They should know.

PamC

GCS wrote:
Grammatim,

I think you have hit the nail on the head. We need to change the default to
ORIGINAL SHOWING MARKUP.

Anyone know how to set this?

Most people complain that even though they saved their document with
the changes not showing, it opens up with the changes showing! (The

[quoted text clipped - 20 lines]