Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nay Nay is offline

Default How do I unlock selection to modify or create a document

my whole word programme appears to be frozen

the message on the bottom says
"This modification is not allowed because the selection is locked"

no idea ???????

I cant create a document or change a previously saved one.

Also the majority of my tool bar is grey

help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PamC PamC is offline

In addition to what Suzanne suggested, it is possible that the document is
protected, that paragraph, section, or even the whole document has been
"grouped" (which disallows changes except for content control input), or that
is marked as final. All give the same message you cited.

You can unprotect from Developer ribbon--pretty much the same way as in 2003.

You can also ungroup from the Developer ribbon: if the Group icon (it's
in the controls group) is colorful (not gray), you can click the arrow next
to it and select ungroup.

If you can see the marked as final icon in the status bar, you'll know that
that is the problem. To change this, click Office button Prepare Mark
as Final. (note: if the doc was not already marked for final, doing this
would so mark it.)

If what Suzanne suggested was not your problem, one of those methods should
allow you to edit the document.

PamC

"Nay" wrote in message
my whole word programme appears to be frozen

the message on the bottom says
"This modification is not allowed because the selection is locked"

no idea ???????

I cant create a document or change a previously saved one.

Also the majority of my tool bar is grey

help

UNLOCK A SELECTION rcharris922 Microsoft Word Help 10 January 24th 09 11:51 AM
How to unlock selection MM New Users 10 April 4th 08 09:18 AM
How do I unlock a selection? Sawdust Microsoft Word Help 1 February 24th 08 08:56 PM
How do I unlock a selection? It won't let me type? julie Microsoft Word Help 1 November 28th 07 03:50 AM
I WANT TO MODIFY DOC. SYSTEM SAYS SELECTION IS LOCKED redfalcon New Users 1 November 6th 07 05:27 PM