Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eric Eric is offline

Default Can I search for straight quotes (") and exclude curly quotes (€œ €

A Find with straight quotes will also find curly quotes. Is there any way to
search for "straight quotes" only, and prevent Word from finding €œcurly
quotes€ ?

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Can I search for straight quotes (") and exclude curly quotes (" "

Search for ^034 (double quotes) or ^039 (single quote)

Eric wrote:
A Find with straight quotes will also find curly quotes. Is there
any way to search for "straight quotes" only, and prevent Word from
finding "curly quotes" ?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

In the Insert Symbol dialog, select the character, and look at the
ASCII (decimal) value listed in the lower right corner of the dialog.
Prefix the number with the caret character.

There are a few nonprinting characters that don't appear in the Symbol
dialog, such as paragraph marks, line breaks, and optional hyphens.
For those you can use the codes or numeric values listed on Graham's
page, http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm in the table
titled "Control Codes".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Can I search for straight quotes (") and exclude curly quotes (€œ €

  1. Press Ctrl + H on your keyboard to open the Find and Replace dialog box.
  2. In the Find what field, type in a straight quote (").
  3. Click on the More button to expand the dialog box.
  4. Click on the No Formatting button to remove any formatting options.
  5. Click on the Special button and select the "Straight quotes" option from the drop-down menu.
  6. In the Replace with field, you can leave it blank or type in any text you want to replace the straight quotes with.
  7. Click on the Find Next button to search for the straight quotes in your document.

This will only find straight quotes and exclude curly quotes. You can also use this method to replace straight quotes with curly quotes or vice versa. Just type in the appropriate quote in the Replace with field and select the corresponding option from the Special drop-down menu.

To format macro or Visual Basic code, wrap it in the
PHP Code:
and
tags.