Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
R.Scott R.Scott is offline

Default Page numbers go bad in TOC in Master DOC

Im using a Master Document and my TOC (Plus Table of Figures and a
Table of Tables) reside on 1 section and the rest of my document, each
section has its own doc. I open the master document first then expand
the subdocuments. Problem is every time I open it I have to Re-update
the 3 tables. It never keeps the page
numbers correct. Even If I multi save it. the TOC updates fine but I
save and come back and its all 3s or 7s or 12s some such.

I have Reading Layout disabled already

What can i check.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

It's hard to tell what is causing the trouble with the TOC fields. The fact
that master documents tend to corrupt can be relevant here (for more, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/Wh...csCorrupt.htm).

What you can do, after you've updated the fields, is to lock them to prevent
them from changing. Use Ctrl+F11 to lock the fields in the selection. Later,
if/when you want to update them again, press Ctrl+Shift+F11 to unlock and
then update with F9.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"R.Scott" wrote in message

Im using a Master Document and my TOC (Plus Table of Figures and a
Table of Tables) reside on 1 section and the rest of my document, each
section has its own doc. I open the master document first then expand
the subdocuments. Problem is every time I open it I have to Re-update
the 3 tables. It never keeps the page
numbers correct. Even If I multi save it. the TOC updates fine but I
save and come back and its all 3s or 7s or 12s some such.

I have Reading Layout disabled already

What can i check.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
W7PSK W7PSK is offline

Stefan Blom" wrote:

It's hard to tell what is causing the trouble with the TOC fields. The fact
that master documents tend to corrupt can be relevant here (for more, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/Wh...csCorrupt.htm).

What you can do, after you've updated the fields, is to lock them to prevent
them from changing. Use Ctrl+F11 to lock the fields in the selection. Later,
if/when you want to update them again, press Ctrl+Shift+F11 to unlock and
then update with F9.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Thank you sir. I will give that a try and see how it comes out.

PS, Im also working across a microsoft server inside my company to do this
(Need access to the doc by several people) We dont need to update the TOC and
the List of Figures and list of tables very often so if that works it will be
peach.

Rick
Everett, Washington