continuous page numbering through section breaks

Old August 24th 09, 07:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jmc

Default continuous page numbering through section breaks

The page numbering in footer returns to 1 after every section break in my
long document. I've repeatedly "fixed" this by clicking the "Continue from
previous section" button in the Page Number Format dialog box for each
section and saved the document. But when I open the document again, each
section starts back at page 1. I'm using Word 2007, odd and even page headers
and footers. What am I missing? Thanks.
Old August 24th 09, 07:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom[_3_]

What you are doing should be working. However, sometimes Word doesn't
recognize certain modifications and consequently won't allow you to save the
document.

After you've selected the "Continue from previous" option, does it help if
you also make a change in the document, such as adding and deleting a
character, before saving?

You may also want to try running the following macro, just to be sure that
the restart option is being modified for all sections (even continuous ones
without visible headers and footers):

Sub ContPageNumbering()
Dim s As Section
For Each s In ActiveDocument.Sections
s.Footers(wdHeaderFooterPrimary).PageNumbers _
.RestartNumberingAtSection = False
Next s
End Sub

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Old August 24th 09, 08:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jmc

I'm not familiar with macros - bit of a newbie. But I will doublecheck on
saving after making other changes. Thanks.

Old May 16th 14, 01:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected]

Stefan,

I was just having the same problem and your Macro just saved my life! Thanks!!

Old April 23rd 15, 05:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected]

"jmc" wrote in message
The page numbering in footer returns to 1 after every section break in my
long document. I've repeatedly "fixed" this by clicking the "Continue from
previous section" button in the Page Number Format dialog box for each
section and saved the document. But when I open the document again, each
section starts back at page 1. I'm using Word 2007, odd and even page
headers
and footers. What am I missing? Thanks.

Thank you, Stefan! Your macro worked like a charm and saved me hours of work!!! Thank you very much!!!
Old May 25th 15, 01:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom[_3_]

I'm glad I could help, even though it has been almost six years after I
posted that message. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Old April 30th 15, 10:56 AM
Erwin Erwin is offline

Smile

Thank you so very much, Stefan, I spent well over an hour trying to fix this and finding a solution - yours proved to be exactly what I needed!
Old June 8th 18, 09:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected]

"jmc" wrote in message
The page numbering in footer returns to 1 after every section break in my
long document. I've repeatedly "fixed" this by clicking the "Continue from
previous section" button in the Page Number Format dialog box for each
section and saved the document. But when I open the document again, each
section starts back at page 1. I'm using Word 2007, odd and even page
headers
and footers. What am I missing? Thanks.

How do you run a macro??????
Old December 2nd 13, 10:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected]

On Monday, August 24, 2009 1:16:01 PM UTC-5, jmc wrote:
The page numbering in footer returns to 1 after every section break in my
long document. I've repeatedly "fixed" this by clicking the "Continue from
previous section" button in the Page Number Format dialog box for each
section and saved the document. But when I open the document again, each
section starts back at page 1. I'm using Word 2007, odd and even page headers
and footers. What am I missing? Thanks.

I had this issue in Word 2013. I was making changes to a document with Track Changes on when I set up the sections and used the macro included in this post to fill in the numbers. The macro worked fine but when I save it and reopened it, each section was set back to beginning with page 0. Turns out I needed to accept all the formatting changes to create the sections/headers and footers. THEN the page numbering would stick when saved. Just another nuance!
Old December 3rd 13, 07:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom[_3_]

Field results and auto numbers may display incorrectly when you are tracking
changes. This is by design in Word. As you have noted, accepting (or
rejecting) changes fixes it.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP